• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not call them 'Cornwall' and 'Clarendon'

Why not call them 'Cornwall' and 'Clarendon'

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Dear Editor,
    My brother entered Clarendon College in 1974, and from then it was my ambition to attend "CC", this noble institution nestled in the salubrious hills of Chapelton, Clarendon, founded by a congregational minister, the Rev Lester Davy in 1942.

My wishes came true two years later when I passed the Common Entrance Exams and was registered at CC, considered by many as Clarendon's most prominent high school.

These were the days when CC ruled the roost in football, and thousands would journey from far and wide to witness the prowess of "the-blue-and-gold-clad boys from Chapelton", which boasted the likes of the wizard Lenworth "Teacher" Hyde, the speedy Dennis "Den-Den" Hutchinson and the fearsome Ivor Lodge.

It was only years later that I came to realise that Clarendon College was not the only CC in Jamaica, as albeit an older school from the west also bears that moniker.

So I was rather taken aback by the letter published in your newspaper by past students of "the other CC" seeking to convince you that there is only one CC.

While it may be tempting to dismiss Clarendon College's claim to the abbreviation, there can be no denying that most people in central Jamaica will refer to this institution on hearing the term CC.

May I humbly suggest that instead of CC the terms "Cornwall" and "Clarendon" be used for the respective schools to avoid any further dispute.

Luke Douglas
    lukedouglas200@yahoo.co.uk
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

And may I suggest to you Mr Douglas

That there maight also be another CC, aside from Clarendon and Cornwall. Yes, what about Campion! Campion College that is, could they not also be called CC?
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

I hear this silly argument all the time, has Campion ever called themselves CC at any time? Why would the press or anyone start calling them that now?
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Much ado about nothing
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

easy for you to say when you have no clue, since you never went to Cornwall, the right CC
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

I won't even waste "me Breath!" pon de topic!!

Comment

Let's keep arguing about who is the real CC instead of any sane, balanced solution. How about the team that is currently 8 from 8 in this year's DaCosta Cup gets to keep the name CC? Particularly if they win their 8th game on the trot by a 8-0 margin? Works for me...
              Usain "Lightning" Bolt - 9.58 secs. WR.

Comment

The problem with those trying to defend the name of the school in the middle of the island is that they keep mistaking what a school really is for and that is to EDUCATE children who go there.

But I guess if football wins is all that you have to be proud of, then go right ahead and knock yourself out.

A part of our school song says.."Changing darkness into light, converting boys to men of might"

I can only guess what Clarendon's school song says..."mek we go beat Glenmuir and Vere and lets win win win"
                Che Guevara.

Comment

Ah bet yuh soon hear sey Christiana Comprehensive ah bawl sey dem is "CC" tuh!!

Since we at it! Let's NOW call Knox College, KC!!
                  Last edited by JaMekAn; October 17, 2007, 08:00 PM.

Comment

As a STETHS man, I see the real CC as the red and gold crew from Montego Bay. They have a much longer history than Clarendon and have a larger impact on eduation and football than Clarendon.

Prior to Chung-Fah and his squad of players which included Lenworth Hyde, Den Den, to name a few, then later Ivor Lodge, when was Clarendon a force to be reckoned with in football that any one can talk about other than that period in the mid to late 70s? Clarendon acquired a bunch of players so they could gain some recognition in the mid 70s. I can remember one such player Anthony "Berger" Johnson who left STETHS to go to clarendon when he thought STETHS was not going to enter daCosta Cup after the riots in Montego Bay. Well, it so happened that the principal at the time had planned for STETHS not to enter any competition which included Cornwall. That principal went on a long leave however and the acting principal who came in said the school would enter and win the damn thing. Berger Johnson who had taken flight to Clarendon to be able to play daCosta Cup football I understood cried like a baby when he realized he jumped ship and we ended up winning without him. At that time Clarendon had not yet won anything in daCosta or any on the major football competitions.

Somebody may correct me about their winnings over the past 20 years, but prior to that, they only had a brief stint in the mid to late 70s under Chung-Fah that really put them on the footballing map.

There is only one and truly CC and that is Cornwall College. I say the red and gold shall never fade!
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Yuh bring tears tuh me yeyes dem!! Well said sah!!

"Cornwall College new yet old, Glorious in her Red & Gold!!
                      Red for Honor, Gold for Fame, play up Boys and win the game!"

Comment

Thank you sire, well said...this part made the most impact -"They have a much longer history than Clarendon and have a larger impact on eduation and football than Clarendon" and I dare any one here or anywhere to try and contradict that, not even master spinner Lazie could spin this fact away.
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                          I can only guess what Clarendon's school song says..."mek we go beat Glenmuir and Vere and lets win win win"
                          For an 'educated' guess, that is a highly uneducated statement. Unless that is an attempt at Cornwallian humour?

I thought this was the Schoolboy Football Forum, and not the Schoolboy Education Forum - two entirely different things.

To each his own, I guess - we shall all defend our schools (and those of our friends) to the end! Let's all sing along now - "mek we go beat Glenmuir and Vere and lets win win win"

Cheers, all.
                          Usain "Lightning" Bolt - 9.58 secs. WR.

Comment

Working...
                          X