• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blake stuns Bolt to win Jamaican Olympic trials with fastest

Blake stuns Bolt to win Jamaican Olympic trials with fastest time of 2012

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER
    PUBLISHED: 02:55 EST, 30 June 2012 | UPDATED: 03:56 EST, 30 June 2012

Yohan Blake ran the fastest 100 metres in the world this year as he and Usain Bolt booked their places at London 2012 in the Jamaican National Championships and Olympic trials.

All eyes were on Olympic champion and world record-holder Bolt in the final in Kingston, but it was world champion Blake who stole his thunder, running 9.75 seconds to best his rival's time of 9.76 set in Rome last month.
    SCROLL DOWN TO WATCH THE RACE

Bolt from the blue: Blake (left) crosses the finish line to win in Kingston

Bolt was second in in 9.86, while former world record-holder Asafa Powell was just behind him in 9.88 to book the third spot on the team, although he reportedly limped away from the track.

'No pressure at all, everything is good. I'm just fortunate,' Blake, who also beat his previous personal best of 9.82, said. 'I'm the national champion of Jamaica now, I go into the Olympics like this.'

World champion: Blake heads to London having run the fastest time in the world this year

This was the first time Blake and Bolt had faced each other since Blake took the world title Daegu last year when the Olympic champion false started.

Bolt, who started poorly, said: 'I had to ignore it (his start). I had trouble getting out, but I kept feeling like I could not give up.'

All eight men in the final met the Olympic A standard.

Well beaten: Bolt congratulates Blake after the race

Third: Asafa Powell fell away after a blistering start

Defending women's 100m champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce broke the national record as she won her final in 10.70, which was also a world-leading time.

She was joined on the team by Athens and Beijing 200m winner Veronica Campbell-Brown who ran 10.82.

National record: Fraser (centre) won the women's final

Kerron Stewart, who was joint second in Beijing, finished third while the other woman to take a share of silver in 2008, Sherone Simpson, could only finish fourth.

Olympic 400m hurdles champion Melaine Walker also won her final, running 54.77.

More...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oly...#ixzz1zH6WkOV4
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.
Working...
X