Michael Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Johnson

According to former Olympic champion Michael Johnson, African American and Caribbean sprinters will dominate the London Olympic games because of what he terms a "superior athletic gene," the favorable consequence of their history of slavery.

Johnson said: "Difficult as it was to hear, slavery has benefited descendants like me – I believe there is a superior athletic gene in us."
    Daily Mail reports he said: "Over the last few years, athletes of Afro- Caribbean and Afro-American descent have dominated athletics finals. It’s a fact that hasn’t been discussed openly before. It’s a taboo subject in the States, but it is what it is. Why shouldn’t we discuss it?"

According Johnson, "It is currently being researched to see how much of a factor being descended from slaves contributes to athletic ability."
    Sports commentators before Johnson have noted the commanding presence of Afro-Americans and Afro-Caribbean athletes at the Olympic games. Daily Mail notes that all the eight 100m finalists at the last Olympics were athletes believed to be descendants of West Africans shipped to the "New World" as slaves. Three were Jamaicans, two were from Trinidad and Tobago and two were Afro-Americans. An athlete of Dutch Caribbean descent from the Island of Curacao represented the Netherlands.

Channel4.com asks: "Why is it that all the athletes that lined up for the men's 100m final at the Beijing Olympics (2008) could trace their ancestry back to the trans-Atlantic slave trade?"

Scientists who are favorably disposed to the argument say that, given the extreme conditions African slaves were subjected to, only the fittest survived. They argue that strong selective pressure for physical fitness that their slave ancestors were subjected to may explain the tendency of African Americans and Afro-Caribbeans to produce world-record-shattering athletes.

The reigning Olympic 100m champion Usain Bolt, for instance, was born in Trelawny Parish, Jamaica — an area that was the site of several slave plantations.

Daily Mail reports that Jamaica, the last stop of the slavery trail, was the toughest for the human cargo to the Americas. A trans-Atlantic voyage in 1732 ended with loss of 96 per cent of the slaves. According to historians, only six of the original 170 slaves that started the journey from the West African "slave coast" survived.

Dr Rachael Irving, a Jamaican geneticist, reportedly said: "There was not much oxygen on slave ships so they had to use whatever they had to survive." Herb Elliot, doctor to the Jamaican Olympic team said that only the most aggressive and fiercest slaves ended up in Jamaica.

According to Daily Mail, Johnson had a DNA test done for a documentary titled "Michael Johnson: Survival Of The Fastest." The test confirmed he is of West African descent. He said: "All my life I believed I became an athlete through my own determination, but it’s impossible to think that being descended from slaves hasn’t left an imprint through the generations. Difficult as it was to hear, slavery has benefited descendants like me – I believe there is a superior athletic gene in us."

Johnson's theory has for long been a controversial subject in the US. The controversy about genetically determined sports superiority of African Americans dates back to Jesse Owens's record-breaking performances at the 1935 Big Ten Track Championships which the Nazis had hoped would give opportunity to demonstrate the superiority of Aryan "Ubermensch.".
    A disappointed Hitler reportedly commented about Owens's success: "People whose antecedents came from the jungle were primitive. Their physiques were stronger than those of civilized whites and hence should be excluded from future games."

However, many African American social scientists vehemently reject the theory that descendants of African slaves have "superior athletic genes." They argue that the theory is offensive because it encourages "black brawn vs. white brains" stereotyping. Most sociologists think that Americans and Caribbeans of West African descent excel in sports because circumstances of economic, social and cultural disadvantage predisposes them to take up sport as the most accessible avenue to self-fulfillment. Sociologists have also proposed similar social and cultural factors to explain the success of African-Americans in the entertainment industry, especially music.

African American sociologist Harry Edwards, debunking the notion of "black superior athletic gene," wrote in 1971: "The myth of the black male's racially determined, inherent physical and athletic superiority over the white male, rivals the myth of black sexual superiority in antiquity."

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/articl...#ixzz1zYqEaW00

The Advantage of Being Famous!

Originally posted by Skeng D View Post
    According to former Olympic champion Michael Johnson, African American and Caribbean sprinters will dominate the London Olympic games because of what he terms a "superior athletic gene," the favorable consequence of their history of slavery.
    [*sarcasm button turned on] Fame certainly has several advantages, one of which is that you (the celebrity) are regarded as an authority on everything you choose to speak about and so anything and everything you say gets published! [*sarcasm button turned back off]

In the case of Jamaican athletes in particular, I would urge Michael Johnson to maybe take a day or two off from work and read Delano Franklyn’s book, “Sprinting Into History: Jamaica and the 2008 Olympic Games,” which is a detailed expansion on an article he (Franklyn) wrote prior to Beijing that looked at the question of “Why do Jamaicans run so fast?”

Comment

Didn't he also allude to genetic makeup in his book?

Comment

By putting so much emphasis on the so-called gene, the significant effort athletes put into their trade is somewhat downplayed. In essence, these athletes have a genetic boost which allows them to excel more than others.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I think we all realize that the athletes still have to put in the effort...there has to be something more than environment & hard work behind the success...a predisposition...

Comment

How are the Ghanaians & Nigerians doing these days on the track, or their environments are not condusive to athletic success?
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Ghanians & Nigerians came to the Americas on slave ships then went back to Ghana & Nigeria? You seem to be missing the point that is being put forward...

Comment

Fairly well represented in the sub-10 second list...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10-second_barrier

Personally I don't buy the Middle Passage argument. There are enough outstanding sprinters of direct West African descent for me to question that.

Also while only anecdotal, I think you would agree that the football teams from West Africa tend to have pretty speedy players.

X says its becuase of the persecution we have endured, so I have been looking for some Palistinian and Native American sprinters but caan really find none.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

But not world beaters...

Comment

Agreed. That I difference I would tend to attribute to environment though, not a survival of the fittest from the Middle Passage.

If Nigeria had an equivalent of Champs....worries.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Yes, He Did....

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                      Didn't he also allude to genetic makeup in his book?
                      Yes, Delano Franklyn did, but he also stated that “this is a reason but it is born of mere speculation. Extensive research has to be undertaken in this area.”

What he placed great emphasis were other factors, in particular Girls & Boys Champs (which he described as “the most prestigious high school meet in the world”). He also gave much credit to coaches as well as the establishment of track clubs, beginning with the Stephen Francis-led MVP track club.

Also, does this genetic makeup thing apply ONLY to Jamaica (and, to a somewhat lesser extent), Trinidad & Tobago and the Bahamas? These three seem to be the dominant sprint powers in the region (Cuba is more a sports all-rounder as opposed to a sprint power). The point I’m making here is that the reasons for Jamaica’s dominance are complex and go beyond merely the makeup of the slaves brought to Jamaica.

The last time I checked, ALL Caribbean slaves all came from the same six or so main trading areas along the west coast of Africa: Senegambia, Sierra Leone, the Gold Coast, Dahomey, the Bight of Benin, and the region of the Niger and Cross deltas.

Comment

Man ask if him read a book by Delano Franklyn.. ?

People muss have more self-respect...

Comment

A Nigerian brethren constantly tells me that if his country had its act together they would be kings of the track. Well Nigeria is not close to getting its act together on anything.

Comment

LOL. Nigeria is the poster child for underachieving nations.

Comment

This argument is really messed up, ok so TNT, Ja and USA have in common a slave trade connection, then what about the greatest concentrations and largest numbers of people of African descent in the new world, they also have the same background so the millions in Haiti, Cuba, Dr and brazil which those put together is probably twice as many people in the new world with African ancestry, we don't really see any sprint domination coming from those countries, maybe a little with Cuba, but not the same level of success we see in the others.

Well let's see what is the other common thread, wait a minute they are all English speaking, maybe it is the English, Scots, Irish that we inherit the sprint gene from! After all if you look at it from a sprint gold medal standpoint, gb probably is stil in top five without Christie and Ja connection, last champion being Allan wells!!! Ok just trying to make a point that these types of arguments are ridiculous!,, Or maybe it is the English language that causes it! As all those countries speak English or back to the genetic factor, we all know that every Jamaican has some mixture, we also know the average African American is 20 percent European, meaning British not to mention the people from TNT who are also very much mixed up, so this must also be a critical factor as we don't see any Haitians or brazilians dominating the sprint scene, maybe it is their Dutch and Portuguese genes literally holding back the superior sprint genes.

Wait a minute if we are descended from west Africans how come the west Africans are not dominating the scene, they have what, about 250 plus million people to draw on and the us Ja and TNT Afro population is at max 40 million, hmmm, not sure about this superior gene crap at all.

Tell you what they have in common, English based culture, which has placed an emphasis on rudimentary, disciplined physical exercise this was passed on through the school structure and thus propagated within these countries thus us elite schools, drove this development in us after start of Olympic games in 1896 and Ja and TNT wee English colonies with strong structure in this area established through the first set of elite schools created in these countries In the 19th and early 20th century, it is those structures, institutions have taken hold and with cross pollination between Ja, TNT, USA and Britain with the latter two being at the heart of world trade And Olympic movement we have been able to continue developing in this vein thus what we see today, this idea of the superior gene is as much crap as hitler espousing the superior race, there may be a higher percentage of fast twitchers in the population but to call it a superior gene is downright ridiculous mj and dr herb need to stop talking this foolishness!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X