X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400m runner moves to clear the air

400m runner moves to clear the air

Published: Saturday | August 10, 2013 0 Comments

André Lowe, Senior Staff ReporterMOSCOW, Russia:Jamaican quarter-miler Akheem Gauntlett has moved to clear the air around his arrest in the United States earlier this year and subsequent withdrawal from Jamaica's IAAF World Championships team to Moscow.
    Gauntlett, who finished third in the 400 metres at the National Championships later that month, was arrested and charged for theft on June 14 by lawmen in Arkansas, but the 22-year-old University of Arkansas standout, in a release, outlined the circumstances of his arrest, describing it as a misunderstanding. He said it had no bearing on his decision to pull out of the World Championships.
    The youngster, who was a member of Jamaica's team to the Central America and Caribbean (CAC) Championships in Mexico last month, also committed to continuing his international career with Jamaica.
    'PERSONAL' REASONS
    Gauntlett was responding to a Gleaner article which was published online on August 7, which reported the arrest.
    "It has been revealed that Jamaican 400m athlete Akheem Gauntlett was arrested and charged for theft by police in Arkansas, USA, on June 14, days before he competed at the National Championships in Kingston," read the report.
    " ... Gauntlett, who finished third in the men's 400m final secured a spot on Jamaica's team to the IAAF World Championships in Athletics but he recently pulled out citing personal reasons," it continued.
    Gauntlett however, has now provided the details of his arrest, which he pointed to as an unfortunate incident.
    "It is true I was arrested in June but it has nothing to do with my withdrawal from the World Championship team to Moscow, Russia," Gauntlett said.
    "I was arrested having accompanied a friend to the store. He was caught on camera shoplifting. It was three of us and we were all arrested. However, I have since gone through all the legal processes and I have been cleared of all charges," Gauntlett added.
    "Since that incident, I travelled to Jamaica to participate at the National Championships and I also represented the country at the CAC Championships in Mexico, so this unfortunate incident could hardly be the reason I pulled out of Moscow," read the release.
    "I love representing my country and it is a major disappointment for me not to be helping to add to Jamaica's great World Championship legacy, but I can assure you, this is not the reason I withdrew," he added. "I hope this helps to clear up the issue and I can now focus, with the help of my family on dealing with the real issues that caused my withdrawal."
    "I look forward to one day representing my country again and I look forward to doing so with dignity and pride," Gauntlett added.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

A notice nobody nuh say nothing about this. We were quick to label the runner as thief etc.

I am this is how it went(if true). Whatever the case be I can only hope he can overcome.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The truth is thief would be a better situation that what I hear. I wont say though...mek things unfold naturally.

Comment

Yuh a hear mi , USA BASED !
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

No not juggs...worse!

Comment

Working...
          X