RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is she not embraced by the Jamaican public?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is she not embraced by the Jamaican public?

Atkinson shines again

Published: Sunday | November 10, 2013 0 Comments

Atkinson
    Jamaica's swim sensation, Alia Atkinson, continued her marvellous displays on the global swimming tour, by capturing her fourth-consecutive gold medal on the FINA World Cup Tour in Tokyo, Japan, yesterday.

Atkinson won the women's 100m breaststroke to add to her win over the same distance in Singapore. She was the top performer in Singapore after finishing with two gold medals and a bronze at the sixth of the eight legs on the 2013 FINA World Cup.

Yesterday, she took the breaststroke event in a smart 1:02.99 ahead of Russia's Iulia Efimova (1:03.02) and Mio Motegi of Japan who was third in 1:05.02.

Meanwhile, Trinidad and Tobago's George Bovell capped off yet another great night of Caribbean swimming with a silver medal-winning performance in the 100 metres individual medley in 51.65. The event was won by Japan's Kousuke Hagino in 51.58, while Vladimir Morozov of Russia secured the bronze in 51.98. The final FINA World Cup 2013 series meet will take place in Beijing, China, November 13-14.

The FINA World Cup is a series of eight International Short Course (25m pool) meets, which began on August 7. The FINA World Cup 2013 series has already been held in Eindhoven (Netherlands), Berlin (Germany), Moscow (Russia), Dubai (Qatar) and Doha (United Arab Emirates).
    Last edited by Karl; November 10, 2013, 03:41 PM.

I guess it's because we are not a "swimming country"?

Anyway, for a sports lover like myself, what she has been doing since the Olympics is nothing short of remarkable and amazing.

You might remember her appeal to the government for support after the Olympics and promising great things if she did get that support. Well, I don't know how much support she has received since, but she has more than delivered!

Pity she may not get the Sportswoman of the Year award simply because of that other outstanding athlete, Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

No hype yet, when big media start talking about her then the wave will come, otherwise it may never come as Ja swimming hype died about thirty years ago. She will have to be a serious gold medal contender to get any mention.

Comment

Then again, I better be careful how I big her up. Next thing somebody might come talk about how some people on the Forum used to fight against these uptown sports, and all of a sudden, because of her success, we a run come up wid wi Jamaican flag!

Sigh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Also Nick "Axeman" Walters successfully defended his title last night with a KO. Big up to both athletes.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Or the sunshine girls!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Embrace all dem sweaty womenz in short skirts an stuff!?

Tall order dat!!!

Jamaica into Semis Fast5 Tournament

Sunday, November 10, 2013

JAMAICA and Australia played a semi-final dress rehearsal yesterday to progress through to the top four of the Fast5 Netball World Series today.

At the end of the second day in Auckland, the New Zealand Fast Ferns topped the six-team group with a perfect win record for 10 points from five wins with 219 goals for against 137 for a goal difference of 82.

Jamaican Sunshine Girl Jhaniele Fowler (GS) goes high for ball against Australia’s Demelza McCloud (GK), as Courtney Bruce (GD) looks on during yesterday’s dress rehearsal 41-41 tie in the preliminary round of the Fast5 Netball World Series at the Vector

The Sunshine Girls ended second with seven points from three wins, a draw and a loss with 171 goals for against 177 for a goal difference of -6.

Australia's Fast Flyers finished third with five points, from two wins, a draw and two losses with 188 goals for against 176 for a goal difference of 12.
              South Africa finished four on four points from two wins and three losses with 169 goals for against 203 for a goal difference of -34.

In an error-riddled opening quarter against Australia, neither team managed to gain the ascendancy and the status quo continued throughout the second stanza despite Jamaica opting to use their power play. Only a six-point Thristina Harwood super-shot edged the Sunshine Girls ahead to take a 22-20 lead at half-time.

Harwood said Jamaica were relishing having a passionate Kiwi crowd behind them, which was evident in this encounter.

"I feel really good. I never expected them to be cheering for Jamaica, but it is wonderful to have that support," she said.

The Flyers (Australia) used their power play after the major break with some wily play around the circle to nullify towering goalkeep Romelda Aiken and goal defender Malysha Kelly. Against the usual run of momentum in a power play, most of the action was at the Jamaican attacking end with Harwood again sinking her fair share of goals to finish the third quarter two goals apart.

Jamaican shooter Jhaniele Fowler landed a two-point super-shot to edge Jamaica into the lead late in the match, but the result hinged on a pressure shot from Flyers' shooter Susan Pratley to square it all up. Final score: Jamaica 41, Australia 41.

Harwood was left ruing the draw.

"I would have preferred the win but a draw is better than a loss, I guess," she said.

"We had to fight to come back ... it was tough."

She was eagerly anticipating today's rematch.

"I'm just going to go out there and do what I have to do -- play strong and shoot."

The Fast5 Netball World Series is an international netball competition that was contested for the first time in October 2009. The new competition features modified "Fast5" rules, and has been likened to Twenty20 cricket and rugby sevens. The competition is contested by the six top national netball teams in the world, according to the IFNA World Rankings.

Meanwhile, the Jamaican Sunshine Girls had earlier beaten the England Fives 36-30.

The first half was a concern for the Jamaican side, as the English were shooting big goals with ease, and firing the ball through the hoop from all areas on court, while their defensive unit proved to be a solid match-up for Jamaica's Jhaniele Fowler, who had a shaky start to the game.

The hesitant start appeared to be a phase of the past for the Sunshine Girls when they returned in the third quarter opting to use their power play status, and taking the court by storm with their superb ball-handling skills.

Thristina Harwood had what many would rate as her best match of the series, settling the Jamaican shooting circle and slotting in a series of two- and three-pointers.

Even coach Oberon Pitterson-Nattie was impressed with her girls' heroic comeback. "It was an awesome performance. For them to be down, especially in the first quarter, coming on and bringing it back, I'm really proud of them for that," she said.

With a power play to come, the England Fives knew they must hit the court with the same determination and passion that saw them lead the match at half-time.

With excellent shooting on display from Rosalie Allison the English side fought hard to take the lead, but the classy Jamaicans denied them, shutting down their attack and taking the match 36-30.

Jessica Rose/CMC

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2kH209JWx
              Last edited by Karl; November 11, 2013, 12:32 PM.

Comment

INDEED!!!!

yuh embracing them properly if ...oh my, will you LOOK at the time??!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Embrace all dem sweaty womenz in short skirts an stuff!?

Tall order dat!!!
                  Tall order, dat?

World fan: That's a good one!
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I personally have been studiously ignoring it as I cant tek nuh more sporting greatness. Jamaican sportpeople clydeing mi now! LoL

We really are in our ackee. Can it last???

Comment

Imagine if Jamaica was a real sporting powerhouse?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It's Swimming.. how many people guh Swim Champs...? Besides di Campion and Immaculate student dem ?

Comment

Imagine if Jamaica was not a Banana Republic ?!

Comment

Hillel!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

hillel get a bruisng in water polo from ardenne it were not funny ...

Comment

Working...
                              X