No announcement yet.

Football Pitches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think jamaicans can maintain quality fields... all it takes is money... when enough professional ballers demand quality and administrators can see a roi they will commit more money to the maintenance of these fields...

why is it we can have quality golf courses of world standard in jamaica... if that can be achieved, then the maintenance of fields can be done as well...

see, in jamaica we dont place any value on certain peoples skill set, if they are not wearing a jacket and tie... so the groundsman with all his years of experience isn't highly valued... he is looked down on by the monkey suits type...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

True! And if someone tries to raise the level of the landscaper we will think he is being uppity.

Golf and football are two different things, baddaz. One is for the uptown class and the other is for hooligans.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

afta mi nuh blind... see it and read it and understand it quite well... mi have a third yeye fi de diss dem, nuh matter how subtle...

Comment

I like your talk here:
          "see, in jamaica we dont place any value on certain peoples skill set, if they are not wearing a jacket and tie... so the groundsman with all his years of experience isn't highly valued... he is looked down on by the monkey suits type..."

The Queen would have to come to Ja and say 'Oh the groundsman is a professional before he is respected. Not gonna happen (not in JA).

I don't think the golf course and the soccer field are the same though. I could be wrong still.

Bad one please don't get caught in the "all we need is money" talk. This myth has benn debunked since 98. Bless.

Comment

I don't know if it takes sophisticated equipments to cut patterns. Its cutting the blades of grass in different directions and angles.

Comment

for a country with such high unemployment why not take some of those idle youth and teach them how to maintain a football field. Much of it is manpower. The rum producers say the by product of the rum is rich in potassium and at appleton it goes back to fertilise the cane field. I am thinking we could use that process is lessor concentration to make home grown fertiliser.. We dont have to look to Scotts and all those things. Much of what we need we have.

Comment

Underneath A Sophisticated Grass Field.....

Underneath sophisticated grass fields in stadium lies a sophisticated drainage system with pumps that can suck out a deluge of rain in a very short time.

Lambeau Field In Green Bay also has a heating system under the field, where heated antifreeze runs through miles of pipe to prevent the field from freezing.

Comment

Yuh ah talk that mi see nuff other
                  werk fi idle youth out deh; technician fi fix traffic lights. man fi wash di streets of mobay ah mawning time. Man fi hand out tciket fi all vendors dat string out llike flowers pot pon street instead of being in the market. Man fi do traffic control in di market. Dem ting ah go represent order and nuff man nuh want dat.

Traffic light needed at nuff critical places in Mobay (tek ironshore for example). Nuff werk out deh but wi nuh luv order wi luv anyting goes, hence a sense of indiscipline in our society.
                  Last edited by Jawge; December 24, 2007, 12:36 PM.

Comment

oj... somewhat semantic, but its not the cutting of the grass but the sweeping and rolling of the grass in different directions...

you're right, it doesn't take any really sophisticated equipment... it takes planning and experience...

Comment

bruce I think it depends on where you are. I dont know if any grass grows in sub zero. The problem in Jamaica is different. We have large amounts of rain then none. I think Westman had good ideas around water traptment and reuse.

Comment

agreed.

Comment

of course golf and soccer are different but they both require maintenance although a different kind... to maintain a putting green of world class standard requires a lot of expertise... similarly, if we want soccer fields to be world class, it also will require maintenance and some expertise... thats the point there...

money or lack thereof isnt the issue in all instances but in many it certainly is... we can accomplish so much without money... to really go beyond the basics, money is needed... unless yuh lucky, yuh affi spend money fi mek money...

don't mek 1998 fool yuh jawge... money is needed to progress past the standard where a lack of money took us...

Comment

Money is one thing Bad one but
                            expertise is another ingredient. Now we have torrential rains; it would be intresting to see us accomplish field with top notch drianage and quality grass at the same time. I can recall the CONFED tourney in Germany; the ceiling broke and water was concentrated and pouring in one spot yet the
                            pitch was devoid of water.

I'm not saying we are incapable but we must allow ourselves to learn in order to accomplish results.

Comment

Working...
                            X