• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A battle Barnes wants to win

A battle Barnes wants to win
    published: Sunday | November 2, 2008

Gordon Williams, Gleaner Writer

Barnes

Shortly after his appointment as Jamaica's senior football coach, John Barnes watched his first Reggae Boyz training session. A fight broke out.
    That 'little dust-up', as he described the scuffle between players, drew national media attention. It also sparked speculation that all was not well in the camp, ahead of two critical World Cup qualifiers. Barnes wasn't worried.
    "Those things happen all the time," he said days later, shrugging wide shoulders as he settled into a chair at his family's St Andrew home.
    Applaud fighting spirit
    Just weeks before he was scheduled to officially take over the team, Barnes would applaud the Boyz' fighting spirit in stunning 1-0 wins over Mexico and Honduras that kept the Jamaica's campaign alive.
    It turned out the Jamaican-born former England international player has been in a few scraps of his own. He burst into laughter recalling one in particular, an under-13 practice game in the 1970s at Up Park Camp, where his father served as a military officer.
    "Spanner sent me off!" said Barnes, who not long after that incident moved with his family to England where his storybook football career would take off. "I only pushed the guy."
    "Spanner', long-time coach and current Jamaica Football Fede-ration (JFF) representative Carlton Dennis, was the game's referee more than 30 years ago. He remembered it differently.
    "John was fighting," he said chuckling.
    Barnes has waged many other battles over more than two dozen years of involvement in pro-fessional football. The stakes surrounding those were usually much higher than a youth game.
    They included living up to his immense potential as a teenager who [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]rose[/COLOR][/COLOR] to shine for clubs like Watford and Liverpool and the pressure, despite some brilliant displays, to transform club form consistently to internationals.
    Barnes also confronted racism in the country where he savoured his greatest successes. He is father of six children, [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]divorced[/COLOR][/COLOR] and remarried. Now, he's about to relocate to his homeland. The battle is getting hotter.
    Desire for the job
    Yet, no struggle could diminish Barnes's desire for the job in Jamaica. Barnes made his interest known to past and present JFF administrations. He wanted the job when Bora Milutinovic was hired in 2006 and again before René Simoes was brought back early this year.
    So, when he got the call from JFF President Captain Horace Burrell hours after Simoes was fired, following a loss to Honduras last month, the team's second in a row which plunged Jamaica on the brink of World Cup elimination, it didn't take much to sway him.
    Barnes asked to complete existing contracts, but did not talk about [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]compensation[/COLOR][/COLOR].
    "When (Burrell) offered it to me, there was no mention of a contract," Barnes said, "There was no mention of a salary ...
    "But my view on football is that anytime you have an opportunity to get onto a football team, - whether as a player or a manager - there's an opportunity there for you to win a match, to show people what you can do."
    Almost bare
    Now, he must wait a bit longer.
    Barnes was officially scheduled to take over on November 1. But Theodore Whitmore guided Jamaica past Mexico and Hon-duras. So, the JFF asked the interim coach to continue through the must-win Canada game on November 19, Jamaica's last CONCACAF semi-final round qualifying [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]fixture[/COLOR][/COLOR]. Barnes supported the move.
    The cupboard containing Barnes's coaching accomplishments is almost bare. He was fired after 10 months with Scottish Premier League club Celtic in 2000, his only previous assignment.
    He blamed his dismissal - after a record of 19 wins, eight losses, two draws and a 'Manager of the Month' award - largely on a claim he was never the popular choice and his best player, Swedish star Henrik Larsson, broke his leg.
    But Barnes will not accept his thin coaching résumé as a drawback.
    "Any footballer who has played under managers like Graham Taylor, Terry Venables, Bobby Robson, Kenny Dalglish, and has been involved with professional football at the highest level for 25 years, if you can't pick up a little about coaching, then you're not worth your salt as a footballer," he reasoned. "So, as much as I've only had 10 months coaching experience, I've had 25 years coaching experience at the very highest level."
    That has not stopped debate in Jamaica over whether he should take over from Whitmore at all. If Jamaica advances after November 19, the talk is almost certain to intensify. Barnes will not [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]duck[/COLOR][/COLOR] the looming battle.
    Simple formula
    "I've been working in football to know the public's perception of the situation as it is," said the 44-year-old with a laugh, days before the announcement to extend Whitmore's tenure to the Canada game. "Obviously, if Jamaica beat Canada, regardless of whether we qualify or not - we still may beat Canada and not qualify - then that's a situation, because of what Theodore has done with them before. If we lose, it will then be my fault. That's the reality of it. You can't be afraid of that. You have to be well aware and be confident in what you can do."
    He has a simple formula to woo the doubters: Win ... now.
    As a player, he experienced plenty of that. A career of more than 750 club games, mostly for Watford and Liverpool, included over 150 goals that helped win several league and knockout titles.
    His 79 caps and 12 goals for England between 1983 and 1995, including World Cup appearances, credit his drive for success.
    Barnes's first real test will come in December's Digicel Caribbean Cup. Jamaica will seek to become football kings of the region and earn a place in next year's CONCACAF Gold Cup.
    Club commitments will rule out most of the overseas-based players and he is hardly familiar with the local ones. Barnes plans to rely heavily on Whitmore.
    But there will be little wiggle room for the new boss when he returns to Jamaica October 31.
    The adventures of Simoes, a hero during Jamaica's 'Road To France' campaign, but criticised for the team's 2008 predicament, serves as a stark reminder.
    But Barnes, who visited Jamaica frequently while living in England and understands the nation's thirst for instant success, refuses to let that burden him.
    "Simoes had not been able to do what he did in '98," he said. "But I can't afford to focus on that. That doesn't interest me whatsoever."
    Instead, he's trying to 'empower' his players, foster a good relation with them and staff, and instil belief and desire.
    He admires the job Whitmore has done. The Boyz, he said, have shown "a lot of heart, a lot of spirit, lot of determination and they are willing to listen."
    But Barnes makes it clear he will be in charge of matters on the field. Team selection and direction will be his domain.
    Areas for improvement
    Already he has noted areas for improvement. Barnes talks about molding Jamaicans' natural speed, strength and athleticism into a pattern that fits his players, not forcing them to adapt another country's style.
    Two touches in the defensive two-thirds of the field and creative freedom in attack, he hinted. He seeks a midfield 'boss' capable of orchestrating the team's passing game to complement its quick, strong defenders and skilful attackers.
    Barnes, a race car enthusiast, knows the model he wants.
    "What we need to do, and it's not just in the (current) team, but it's always been the case, we have to be respectful and grateful for (France inter-national) Claude Makelele-type of players, players who aren't pretty," he explained. "Midfield players who are very simple, can get the ball and pass the ball simply, because we're always gonna have players with skill ...
    "But I think our ball retention is not very good. We either attack and score or get a corner or lose the ball, or we defend with our lives. But in terms of our management of the game, dominating possession, outplaying teams, not just beating them because of our strength, is where we're not very good."
    Discipline important
    Barnes is no less interested in bolstering discipline. He insists finding talent in Jamaica is not a problem. Getting players to adapt to his system will be a greater challenge.
    His contract expires in June and he wants an extension. So, there is little time for untested players. Battle-hardened but troubled veterans may be called up.
    For Barnes, the big fight will be to get it all working in time. But he's seen plenty of those and, according to him, he's not worried. Gordon Williams is a Jamaican journalist based in the United States.

More Sport

E-mail this story

Print this Page

Letters to the Editor

Most Popular Stories

addthis_url = location.href; addthis_title = document.title; addthis_pub = 'gleaneronline';
    window.google_render_ad();
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Already he has noted areas for improvement. Barnes talks about molding Jamaicans' natural speed, strength and athleticism into a pattern that fits his players, not forcing them to adapt another country's style.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Bring bak 'nandi....
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Why not develop more Onandis ? here is a man that believes in out talent and the dearth of it.

I wouldnt be surprised to see 2 young Onandi Lowes in our squad , or two young Jbs on the wings , 2 hues , 2 cragills etc .

Our style of play has always been about speedy wingers and over lapping left/right backs.Now we have the oppourtunity to play our game with tactical discipline with a midfielder that distributes the ball and a defensive one that cleans up .Finding quality strikers is our achilles heel.

BTW has Adu found his way to the prem yet ?

Comment

Why do you continuously use the term dearth? From your posts it doesn't seem that is what you mean.

Comment

how is strikers our problem when we have man a score inna the EPL fi fun? Yu nuh hear say EPL a di best league inna the world?
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Strikers are the least of our concerns,Jamaica can find them in abundance,we need some quality midfielders

Comment

Do we ,name them ? and be serious.

Comment

My error.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    how is strikers our problem when we have man a score inna the EPL fi fun? Yu nuh hear say EPL a di best league inna the world?
                    I how Fuller continues his improvement. Nothing to get excited about yet...if the quality of his goals is observed. So far most have been so-so goals! That type of luck has a way of disappearing.

Sass: We are not seeing goals where there are build-ups with Fuller involved in those build-ups and the end being good finishing.

On the other hand - King's involvement in his TEAMs play shows a striker...good player at work.
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Bwoy the man caan win wid unuh, eeehhh? If Fuller scores 100 goals this season, unuh still a go seh 95 of dem was buk up!!!
                      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                        Bwoy the man caan win wid unuh, eeehhh? If Fuller scores 100 goals this season, unuh still a go seh 95 of dem was buk up!!!
                        You must have noticed that I did not say the goal or his goals were buck-up?!

Right?

...and is it that you think Fuller is playing as well as Adebayor, Torres, Rooney, Ronaldo, Marlon King who each has scored less goals?
                        Massa Fuller is an improved player. Playing much better than last year...but most of his goals are not as a result of him being part of fluid build-ups.

I think we are looking at Fuller's performances with an eye on what he would bring to the table for our Reggae Boyz...and how that would bring WINS for the Reggae Boyz. I sure as hell look at our players in that light.

Fuller needs to pass even more than his new improved play shows. Passing more would help his TEAM and him to more often unlock opposition defenses...and guess what? ...create more GOOD SCORING OPPORTUNITIES for his TEAMmates and him!
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Maybe we shoulda find a girl for Rory Delap or get back Thomas Mclean from retirement.

Does it really matter if he is in the build up or if he take his header when he gets them?

Arsenal have been having a lot of build up of late but ........
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

If I was Fuller every ball I get I go wide and hit it on a defender to make it go out.

that is what I call TEAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                              Maybe we shoulda find a girl for Rory Delap or get back Thomas Mclean from retirement.

Does it really matter if he is in the build up or if he take his header when he gets them?

Arsenal have been having a lot of build up of late but ........
                              Yes it does!
                              Just think on it...do you think he will score often enough using that method for our Reggae Boyz team to move towards TOP OF THE WORLD?

...on the other hand do you think improving his inter-passing game with his TEAMmates has the greater chance of aiding that forward move to TOP OF THE WORLD?

Comment

Working...
                              X