• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French idol Tyrone Mears wants to play for England

French idol Tyrone Mears wants to play for England

By Neil Mcleman 28/03/2009

EXCLUSIVE

Tyrone Mears has declared himself available for England despite playing a friendly for Jamaica last month.

The Stockport-born defender is proving a hit on a year's loan from Derby to French giants Marseille, scoring the goal to take them through to the last eight of the UEFA Cup last week.

But after suffering a serious knee injury last year, the son of Jamaican parents agreed to play for John Barnes' Reggae Boyz in a friendly international at the New Den last month to gain match practice.

Now, with Marseille second in the League and with the Champions League beckoning, the 26-year-old full-back wants to play for the land of his birth. "It is a funny situation with Jamaica," said the former Preston and West Ham player. "I played one friendly game for them because I wasn't playing and I needed a game.

"But I can still play for England and I still want to play for England. I am hoping I can have a good end to the season and we'll see what happens."

Recommended to Marseille by Kevin Keegan, Mears did not make his debut until mid-January because of his knee but is now holding down a regular place.

In the last fortnight he has tasted victory in the historic PSG-Marseille big match rivalry in Paris, before knocking out Ajax in the Amsterdam Arena.

"Playing in the play-off final for Derby was quite a big game but these two matches have definitely been the biggest I have ever played in," Mears said.

"I didn't know how big the game against Paris was - the atmosphere was amazing. I hope to play in a few more big games now."

Full-back reveals international ambitions

By Patrick Haond Last updated: 21st March 2009

Tyrone Mears is hopeful that playing for Marseille will boost his chances of one day breaking into the England team.
    The full-back joined the French club on a season-long loan from Derby last summer and he has enjoyed his time in Ligue 1.
    The 26-year-old is pleased that he has been able to help Marseille challenge for top spot in Ligue 1 but he also has international ambitions.
    Mears believes he is capable of pushing for a place in Fabio Capello's side and insists he has also shown his determination by going to Marseille.
    "It was my choice to leave Derby County where I got good wages," Mears said in Aujourd'hui Sport.
    "I didn't want to play for (a club at) the bottom of the league. So I asked to leave. The Marseille officials came and got me.
    "I came to l'OM to play in Europe and to (help them to the) top of the L1 ranking. To me Marseille is a springboard to the English team, which is a big motivation."
    Mears admits he has been surprised by the physical aspect of French football.
    He said: "I can now understand why so many young French players are hired by English top teams."

Comment

"It is a funny situation with Jamaica," said the former Preston and West Ham player. "I played one friendly game for them because I wasn't playing and I needed a game.

"But I can still play for England and I still want to play for England. I am hoping I can have a good end to the season and we'll see what happens."

Ahh bwoyyy!
      Peter R

Comment

The difference between Trinidad and JA this would be in the newspaper the next day .. what a user the same thing with Maund who played for us withthe under 17 ...peter r we have to watch the fellas close ... I see no nyron noseworthy for JA

Comment

And this is the kind of people some want to play for Jamaica. Jeez..have we no pride

Comment

Exactly!

Where are all those people, like Assasin, Karl, Tilla, Maudib...well we could almost name the whole entire board!...who don't have a problem with this shameless, wholescale recruitment of mercenaries for the Reggae Boyz team?!?! Speak up, you wimps!!! Is this what you want to hear from these...these... these...! Is it!?

If this is all John Barnes can come up with in trying to revive the Reggae Boyz fortunes, maybe we need to save some money and release him.
            Last edited by Mosiah; March 29, 2009, 10:55 AM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah in a war-mode speak up people !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Mosiah coach from long time.

Comment

Yes, but...but...yes..and what's your point?

shame

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

But is long time he wanted england

Ambitious Mears eyes England spot
                    2007-10-15 17:41:01

Ambitious Derby full-back Tyrone Mears has set his sights on winning a place in the England squad before the end of the season.
                    Mears, 24, is hoping to follow in the footsteps of Manchester City's highly-rated youngster Micah Richards - who is currently filling the right-back slot in Steve McClaren's team after taking his chance with Gary Neville out injured.
                    Mears told the Derby Evening Telegraph: "I am looking at the possibility - why not?
                    "My mate, Micah, has gone into the squad and done really well and there is no harm in aiming high.
                    "I'll be honest, I am aiming to get in the squad by the end of the season."
                    Derby boss Billy Davies felt Mears was showing England quality at the start of the season, but a thigh strain in the defeat at Tottenham interrupted his campaign.
                    "It was just my luck to pick up an injury. When I'm doing well, I usually seem to get a knock," added Mears.
                    "I started the season well and I shouldn't really have played in the Tottenham game because it was not right, but hopefully my form will pick up again.
                    "I want to achieve things, stay in this league and go places. The main thing for me is consistency, that is what I must find.
                    "As long as I am doing it week in, week out in the Premier League then I can believe I'm good enough to go and play for England.
                    "There is a lot of hard work to be done. As long as I am playing well, that's the main thing, then it is up to Steve McClaren."

/* story footer */.comments {border: 1px solid #F0F1F5;margin-top: 50px;width: 455px;}.h2 {margin-bottom:0px; padding: 0px; background-color: #F0F1F5; font-size: 11px;margin: 0px; padding-left:45px;padding-top:5px;font-weight: bold;background-image:url(/site_images/comment_symbol_Lrg.gif); background-repeat:no-repeat;height:22px;color: #8B0000;}.comments a {font-weight: normal; color:#8B0000;}.comments p {padding: 5px; }/* story footer */

Comment

Mo, I am one of the people who have no problem with "farin" born jamaicans playing for the ReggaeBoyz. However, that said, this story is a a freaking shame.

My position has always been the same: if a player wants to play for us and is good enough, then we should call him into camp and see if he is better than what we have in our local pool. (I don't buy into the idea that because a player plays in a higher league he is matter-of-factly better than his counterpart in the local DPL).

I say NO to recruiting of foreign players. The JFF should NOT seek them out to play for us! Rather, I believe that all eligible foreign-born players need to contact the JFF if they are truly interested in playing for us. Following that, they should be invited to camp and made to compete for
                      a place on the squad. If they are only just as good or no better than what we can find in the NPL/DPL then we should tell them: "NO but thanks for coming!"
                      "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

how my name come inna dis?

When you see me a advocate for this kind of player?
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The only problem I have with the Reggaeboyz is when dem pick up 5-0 from Ghana and 5-0 from Iran... after game dun nuhbaddy not counting who have how much passport..

If wi can improve our ranking to top 40 by playing 10 man from Mars suh dat wi doan end up in groups of death having to watch Trinidad playing in qualifiers while we twiddle our thumbs BRING EM IN !!

Is juss a shame wi suh poor an cyaan afford to buy more player and baptize dem inna Milk River and gi dem passport like wheh Bahrain duh...

As long as Barnes nuh play Manning or Dacosta cup player over UB40 mi happy.

Comment

Well, you didn't have a problem with Vaz running for MP wid him US citizenship, so...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah I am waiting.

How my name come inna dis?
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X