No announcement yet.

Now somebody tell me if that was a red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the other hand, if Tommy Smyth thinks it's not a penalty, then where does that leave me? I always disagree with Karl and Tommy on such matters.

Okay, I just saw it. Clear penalty!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMgAMTNnt-w

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Ferguson seeking Fletcher U-turn

Fletcher was shown straight red with 15 minutes left and United 3-0 up

Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson hopes referee Roberto Rosetti will admit it was an error to send off Darren Fletcher against Arsenal.
      The Italian official gave Fletcher a straight red for fouling Cesc Fabregas in the box in United's 3-1 Champions League semi-final second leg victory.
      It means he will miss the final unless the referee decides he made a mistake.
      "In respect to the referee he might look at it himself without anyone asking him," said Ferguson.
      "You can see the ball has moved in a different direction but we shouldn't ask him. He's competent and fair enough to look at it himself possibly. Apparently, you can't appeal and if that's the case it's disappointing for the boy.
      "Darren's one of the most honest players in the game and to miss the final is a tragedy."

Early goals killed off game - Ferguson

Uefa can rescind the red card if requested to do so by referee Rosetti, though such instances are very rare, according to BBC sports news correspondent James Pearce.
      He said: "Uefa will receive the referee's report on Wednesday. In theory, he can say in the report that he made a mistake and Fletcher should not have been sent off.
      "Normally that would only happen with a case of mistaken identity but Uefa says he would be able to admit the error, so Fletcher will only know for definite if he is suspended from the final when the referee submits his match report."
      Arsenal manager Arsenal Wenger also insisted the red card was "very harsh" after television pictures clearly showed Fletcher played the ball cleanly.
      However, it would now take an unprecedented decision by Uefa to earn Fletcher a reprieve from suspension for the final on 27 May.
      The incident was the only sour note for United on the night as they outplayed the Gunners to seal a 4-1 aggregate win and book their second successive Champions League final.
      United arrived at the Emirates Stadium holding only a slender 1-0 lead from last week's first leg, but United scored twice in the first 11 minutes through Park and a stunning Cristiano Ronaldo free-kick to put them firmly in control.
      "We got a good start and that made the difference," said Ferguson. "The two quick goals knocked the wind out of their sails and wherever you play teams can't recover from that."
      606: DEBATE
      The referee unfortunately made a mistake, and we hope UEFA make a special dispensation for his case

Messi who?... The poor man's Ryan Giggs

Arsenal tried to force their way back into the game but were floored by Ronaldo's second of the game after the hour.
      "I thought they couldn't handle Ronaldo. That made a big difference," added Ferguson.
      United now face the winner of the tie between Chelsea and Barcelona with the London club holding a slender advantage going into the second leg at Stamford Bridge after a 0-0 draw in Spain.
      Ferguson though feels the hunger of his players to win the competition makes whichever team they face a moot issue.
      "We should have this cup more times than we have," said Ferguson. "This is another opportunity for us to do so.
      "I think we have the quality, the energy and the ambition to do it. It's a hungry team and when the chips are down they don't let me down."
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        Clear penalty!
        Clear red!

...leave the ref alone. He was on your side...not that you needed it...all night long!
        Again, I wonder what your position would be if it was called against Arsenal?

"Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger also admitted the red card was 'very harsh' after television pictures clearly showed Scottish international Fletcher - a non-playing substitute at last year's final - played the ball."

Gwaan wid yuh biased self Karl. We Manu fans are aware that the ref can get it wrong sometimes, however, when the call is in Manu's favour all the conspiracy theorists come with dem foolishness.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          Again, I wonder what your position would be if it was called against Arsenal?

"Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger also admitted the red card was 'very harsh' after television pictures clearly showed Scottish international Fletcher - a non-playing substitute at last year's final - played the ball."

Gwaan wid yuh biased self Karl. We Manu fans are aware that the ref can get it wrong sometimes, however, when the call is in Manu's favour all the conspiracy theorists come with dem foolishness.
          Did I not say the red was silly...but it was a result of a silly rule?

Did Wenger claim that on seeing the replay he thought it was not a penalty?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            Did I not say the red was silly...but it was a result of a silly rule?

Did Wenger claim that on seeing the replay he thought it was not a penalty?
            Who said "Clear red!"
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Ok Karl, I watched the entire match last night as the football pundit that I am, and here are my thoughts.

Over the course of the two legs, the Empire completely dominated and was the superior team in evry department except goalkeeping (and that was because Van Der Sar was not tested). SAF has a superior crop of players than Arsenal and he used them to good effect to out maneuver Arsne Wegner. The results were not because the Arsenal team is not good, but strictly because of a superior tactic. SAF used Rooney and Park, the two work-horses in the team, to nullify Arsenal's speed on the flanks. Over the two games, Theo Walcott was a non-factor. The Empire team was well-drilled and disciplined. Many times I witnessed whenever Evra made a forward run, Rooney or Anderson would drop back into his position. Febergas was also nullified by Anderson (again....remember last season) and Fletcher. Our discipline was on show again whereby everytime an Arsenal player made it across the half line, he was immediately surrounded by Empire soldiers, limiting his passing routes. I saw intense concentration on each of the Empire soldier's faces. They were determined not to concede any goals and the result was a foregone conclusion. Even though there was brillance from several players, Rooney, Ronaldo and Park, the MOM for me was the team.

On Fletcher's red card: I can understand the ref's decision because he was behind the play, but he should have consulted with his linesman before issuing the card. Fletcher clearly played the ball first, and it was not even a foul.

Arsenal players need more seasoning. They lack the killer and fighting instincts that the three teams ahead of them have. If we were playing Chel$ki or Livafool, then it would have been a fight to the end.

Chelsea will win their match today. SAF continues to prove my statement from early last month, he has figured out Arsne Wegner's teams and is more comfortable playing English teams than other European teams.
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Karl, you are right this time. It was a clear red. Fletcher first grabbed the player on his shoulder and then went through him to play the ball.

RED!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I didn't see the grab, but I'll watch it again (later) or if someone can post it.
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                    I didn't see the grab, but I'll watch it again (later) or if someone can post it.
                    There was no grab! Mosiah need fi wear him glasses when him a watch TV.

Comment

I always like to have my facts before I make conclusive statements. I cannot remember seeing a grab, but I will leave it open until I review it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                        I always like to have my facts before I make conclusive statements. I cannot remember seeing a grab, but I will leave it open until I review it again.
                        http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2480566/

Comment

Thenk yuh sah. No Foul!!!! No PENALTY!!! No Red CYARD!!!

Comment

The youtube clip is right in this thread. Check my contributions.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

If you don't see a foul there, too bad. For those of us who know football...RED!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X