• Show
Clear All

RE: Our coaches dont have a clue

Bricktop (2/22/2007)
    Karl (2/22/2007)
    Bricktop (2/22/2007)
    Karl (2/22/2007)
    Aside: For the JFF leaders and bricktop

If the teams practise against only poor opponents there are no problems to solve. The nonsense they do against that poor quality will have them 'winning'/succeeding.
    I still do not understand how lack of practise against top competition affects ones ability to control a football or make a tackle standing up. These are football basics and this practise thing is just an excuse to cover up for our shabby youth development.
    If you do not understand not being able tocomplete skills you thought you had 'down pat' under pressure...you will not understand how a player can do the most intricate of juggling of the ball when by self and cannot when under match conditions. You just will not get it...that driving around at 60 miles per hour is far different that at 120 miles per hour.

Football: Doing the so-called basics at our NPL pedestrian speeds does not automatically mean you shall be able to carry out those same basics as the international level cruise speed...forgetabout the international level top speed.
    So how exactly is one "under pressure" when taking a corner kick?
    Do you mean besides the pressure felt because one is not mentally strong to perform with the same level of 'cool' as when one is playing -

a) infront of friends only; b) the weight of the enormity of playing for TEAM; c) the greater weight of the enormity of playing in front of several thousand of spectators and knowing that every mistake will be magnified by the TV slowmo camera; d) after being physically challenged as never before; e)...just finding yourself, without necessary preparations of having played in sucha climate/environment so that you can totally block out the distractions around?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Do you play the game, Bricktop?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Bricktop: One of the things we are most comfortable at doing is speaking...but, guess what many are they who on being put before a microphone - to put it mildly -lose it!

I have had the good fortune to be in a radio studio on air live - "Sportstalk" for one - and I have seen smart sensible persons become inarticulate. ...and, that was 'private' only about 4 persons in the studio.

I have seen persons at a 'mike' in a public forum 'freeze'.

I have seen good referees - confident and relaxed doing local matches, who become wooden and break out in "cold sweat"during an international engagement....lose it!

Some few players take to performing on the big stage like duck to water...some, the vast majority,need practise, practise, practice....
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl. Even great leaders have succumbed to this malady.

Comment

Mosiah (2/22/2007)Do you play the game, Bricktop?
            Relevance? I am hearing one bag of excuses for our players when the fact is they are simply not technically proficient. If they are playing practise matches against inferior opponents and not playing like how they would against better opposition then that reflects on the coaching staff.

Comment

Bricktop (2/22/2007)
              Relevance? I am hearing one bag of excuses for our players when the fact is they are simply not technically proficient. If they are playing practise matches against inferior opponents and not playing like how they would against better opposition then that reflects on the coaching staff.
              Cho man, be fair. They played poorly...but, practise against quality opposition would certainly have themacquiting themselves much better. Right?

Comment

Karl (2/22/2007)
                Bricktop (2/22/2007)

Cho man, be fair. They played poorly...but, practise against quality opposition would certainly have them acquiting themselves much better. Right?
                Maybe. Maybe not. As I said before how we played against Costa Rica is our normal style of play. Miscontrolling balls, slide tackling, clearances that shoot straight up in tha air or go out of bounds, players dribbling into pressure. It is endemic to our football so to blame it on lack of practise doesn't cut it in my book.

Comment

Karl, I am speaking from experience now, a playeris only nervous before the start of the game. Once the game starts and you get into it, it is just a normal game.The enormity of the game may make you hustle a little bit more, which may throw off your pace and timing but that will soon work itself off. After the first 10 minutes the players should be ok. The coach should emphasized the importance of passing the ball to each player so the early anxiety is diffuse. Adrenalin will carry the player the rest of the game.
                  Six days I work for my children, on the seventh day they work for me.
                  Mitty

Comment

Mitty (2/22/2007)Karl, I am speaking from experience now, a playeris only nervous before the start of the game. Once the game starts and you get into it, it is just a normal game.The enormity of the game may make you hustle a little bit more, which may throw off your pace and timing but that will soon work itself off. After the first 10 minutes the players should be ok. The coach should emphasized the importance of passing the ball to each player so the early anxiety is diffuse. Adrenalin will carry the player the rest of the game.
                    You are speaking of your reaction.

Let me speak of mine - thinking back as a youngster: Cricket - toooften I never recovered when going to bat. There was never a problem fielding or bowling.

Football: Never nervous. In fact, I got a heightened sense of awareness.

Track and Field: Through to college - As per football. heightened sense of awareness.

Refereeing: The more important the match the wider awake I became. Ikept (until I gave it up at 45 ) myself in good shapeandkept up with the fastest of play...excepting recovery on successive big kicks from end to end.Was never flustered and 'brain' was always in gear. Yes, I at timesmade decisions thatmany did not agree with but, I always made the decisions honestlyas myphysical faculties showed me andwhere the laws of the game and logic took me.

Never had a problem in any of my international matches...both at home and away from home.

...but, the above is yours and mine. Othersmay have different experiences.

Certainly, from the 22 years I refereed the number of games where players would be performing well and then somewhere in the game started to commit a series of 'silly'...apparently 'unbelievable' (actions do not appear to be done on using 'brain') mistakessuggests some players do get out of their comfort zone (using mind...possible because of immediate game situation/circumstance...stress...nervousness...loss of composure, a sudden 'new' awarenessof the enormity of the task at hand...etc.).

As player (T&F - football, cricket) and as ref a technique I came to use was the making of light remarks to my friend (any and allteammates is your best friend during matches & refereeing) ...sometimes remarks on the 'nice day'...beautiful rain, and, slap hands and or pat...compliment on a task well done (matters not how simple - ref 'thumbs up, nodding of head...wave...shout...speak with when near...in games, speak with...encouragement, etc.) ...in games at times discussed/told - i.e. e.g. yuh notice di left back a breed hard...di bwoy a get tired...wi a guh run im... or da bwoy good mek wi pass wen wi near im or whatever...my brain was always engaged. I loved the 'game situation'. Made me feel alive!

...now in life - I love negotiations. it does not matter if I am speaking with the Queen or the Pauper..To put my mind on a task...is living!

Not everyone is like that! I thinking being in those challenging situations often helps one to always 'use brain' regardless of the circumstances...and, if not in all circumstances...then, inmost circumstances.

Yup! Everything I have experienced in 'games' suggest being in the 'high powered' situations oftenhelps.

Comment

Mitty (2/22/2007)I meant the Mexican players are slower and smaller than our players.
                      Did not appear that way to me. The Mexicans appeared to be faster in thought (thinking a situation through and acting), reaction time...

...and in pace across ground appeared to be in the mainat least as swift as our players.

If we allow our wingers to run down our wings and cross we could give them a lot of trouble as our players are quick enough and appear strong.

The bad thing is the Mexicans appear far fitter. Quite a few of our players looked near to total physical exhaustion...and, Costa Rica does not play the swift passing gameMexico does. That playing with constant series of multiple passes works the opposition both physically and mentally - allowing little rest/time for recovery and to reassess the situation. In any case it does not appear we haveplayers on the field who are thinking through the game as it goes along. Sorry about that last sentence...but, that's how it looks to me.

Your post suggest that our players should...early in the game test the Mexican defense in a foot race. I agree! A fewpasses betweenand or behind the defenders forcing a race to see if our forwards can get the shot off before the defenders recover is always a good tactic.

Comment

Reggae-Fan (2/22/2007)
                        Mosiah (2/22/2007)<DIV>
                        Reggae-Fan (2/22/2007)</DIV><DIV>Mosiah is the most racist individual on these message boards. always quick to fight down a man because of the color of his skin.

As long as we continue to use sub-standrad coaches both at the club and international level, our football will forever be in the state it is.

If we need anorange man or a purple one to fix our football, so be it...I dont care what the color of his skin is.
                        </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV> Apparently you can't stand the truth.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Call it racism, reverse-racism, whatever. I call it self-hate. Amounts to the same thing, I guess. </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Apparently you can't handle the truth. We give fariners all the ratings in the world, even when they don't deserve it. Hell, even Laza will admit that he made errors in the last World Cup campaign, but we will blame it on the black bwoy Carl Brown. Yet, we want to give Laza credit for how the team played. How on God's green earth could he be that good?!? And if you say he is, then why didn't his "goodness" beat out CB's "wuklissness"? Why did we have to suffer watching T&amp;T at the World Cup?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Reggaefan, you should know me by now. I will not hesitate to point out when we practice self-hate. It happens almost every day in Jamaican society.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>At my workplace, my boss scarcely takes my advice about anything, but will quickly take the same advice when the source carries a laptop anda return ticket to the USA. </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>If you are honest with yourself, RF, I'm sure you will agree.</DIV>
                        As long as the local coaches (even Jeffrey Maxwell)continue to fail...we will continue to see little "support" for them from the private sector. CB was brought back recently to take charge of Jamaica's football. Well, we all know what happened in teh Digicel cup games we hosted. Yes, Mighty Giants St. Vincent managed to beat us (I cant help but mention the fact that their coach wasnt a "littleblack boy" like CB :w00t.

Here we have Dean Wetherly (Dr Dean Weatherly actually) having our under-20 squad looking the worse team in teh zone so far...a zone which includes St Kits (managed by a "black bwoy" mind you).

When a "black bwoy" take us to the world cup..or have us believeing that we can make it...they will get support. Until then...bring in qualify people...regardkess of their color (purple orange or green are all welcome)

Under Bora...we managed to win our first tourney at any level OUTSIDE of Jamaica recently...

Under Laza, we won our first WCQ game in central america...we have never won a WCQ game in central america under any "local black bwoy"

Who was our td when we made it to France '98, argentina and New Zealand?

And we wonder why the locals dont get the support.
                        Faulty reasoning. The foreigners got the support before they accomplished any of those things you mentioned.

Simoes and Clovis - 94 through'99 - 2001

...and, Laza inherited CB's winning squad.

The funds and the international exposure was lined up and given before these guys accomplished anything.

George Thompson, Maxwell, McNabb, CB and Wendell Downswell - got zilch.

When CB took over time before his last, he was given a series of matches...then,unlike Simoes the program stopped. It restartedjust before he played Haiti...and,after theHaiti matches, when any fool could see the team was refinding its foot, it was given to Laza.

It is easy to check - search the site. "history" and "match stats".

Comment

When CB took over time before the last,...would that have been the 3rd or 4th time...i've lost count

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                          X