• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Boyz Walking

D-Day — Boyz in do-or-die clash with Costa Rica
    BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sport Editor
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013

NO one can know for sure how a condemned man feels on his final walk to the gallows. One can only imagine it to be a horrible thing.

On the flip, it would be quite conceivable how the very individual would react if he were to be pardoned in the final hours leading to his execution.

Goalkeeper Richard McCallum collects a ball during the Reggae Boyz’s final training session at the National Stadium last night ahead of today’s World Cup Qualifier against Costa Rica at the same venue. (PHOTO: GARFIELD ROBINSON)

One or the other emotion could be on the cards when Jamaica's Reggae Boyz take their fateful walk today in their do-or-die CONCACAF World Cup-qualifying clash with leaders Costa Rica inside the National Stadium. Kick-off is at 7:00 pm.

A defeat today would not only effectively eliminate Jamaica, but it would evoke a sinking feeling of disappointment and failure on the part of the players, coaches, fans, and football functionaries at all levels.
    A victory -- and for that everyone is praying — would indeed represent a stay of execution for the Boyz, as they fight for their Brazil 2014 World Cup lives, plus it would indeed be a joyous moment.

For the sake of the campaign, it is hoped that the executioner in this case, is Jamaica, and Costa Rica will be the one being led down the dark corridor of defeat.
    But Costa Rica won't go without a fight, after all they are on the brink of qualifying for the World Cup, and their 14 points at the top of the table is the result of hard work.

Los Ticos, as the Central Americans are called, sounded a deathly warning when they cut down CONCACAF powerhouse and previous leaders, the USA, 3-1 in San Jose on Friday.

On the same night in Panama City, the Reggae Boyz were battling with the host for three priceless points, but only came with scraps from 0-0.
    After seven games, Jamaica have only three points at the bottom with their Mission To Rio campaign fading real fast.
    But there is hope that it remains a mission possible, but that belief will only be validated with a win tonight.

O'brian Woodbine, who came on as a substitute in the last match, said it most eloquently when he said: "Tuesday's game we have to go all out; we can't think about anything else but three points."

Adrian Mariappa, a central defender, said that it will be crucial to replicate the teamwork from the last match. "What was also good is that everybody was working for each other, and we always looked like we could score on the break, so we have to take all these positives into the next game," he noted.
    Boyz head coach Winfried Schafer, buoyed by the performance in Panama, said he has a plan to counter the slick Costa Ricans.

"I watched Costa Rica against us and against the United States and I know what we have to do. What's important is to go into that game with the same power we did against Panama," he told the Jamaica Observer.
    Newly appointed and still getting to "know my players better", Schafer will have a couple of issues to wrestle with ahead of the game.

He will need to decide on who will tend goal with first-choice Donovan Ricketts out by card suspension. The German will have to choose from Richard McCallum, Jacomeno Barrett and Gariece McPherson. The natural number two, Dwayne Miller, got injured in training prior to the team departing for the Panama assignment.

Though he has been training with the team with a heavily bandaged leg, Alvas Powell could be iffy. He was substituted in the 44th minute in Panama with an ankle complaint.

Crystal Palace's Adrian Mariappa, who did not play in Panama due to card suspension, returns and will be looking for an appointment in the three-prong defence.

In Panama, Leicester City's Wes Morgan, Watford's Lloyd Doyley and Jermaine Taylor of Houston Dynamo did a creditable job to keep the hosts off the scoresheet.

"For the next match, we have plenty of players and we may change. Mariappa comes back, we have Daniel Gordon and Wes Morgan, (Jermaine) Taylor and (Lloyd) Doyley, that's the situation," said Schafer.
    The coach had indicated that Bristol City's Marvin Elliott would replace the red-carded Rodolph Austin in holding midfield position.

"I think Elliott played good in this position, and the way he played he was saying to me 'coach I am here', and he played well, he made good passes and he plays good with the head, and maybe he will play this position," said Schafer on Friday night after the game in Panama.
    The other midfielders in that game were Shaun Cummings and Powell who played out wide, while Jobi McAnuff and his Reading teammate Garath McCleary played inside.
    Marlon King, without a club now, and Volgan's Luton Shelton, were paired in Friday's game, and while there was a lot of running from them and good teamwork, shots at and on goal were almost non-existent.

Schafer has Portland Timbers' Ryan Johnson, Bolton Wanderers' Jermaine Beckford, Doncaster Rovers' Theo Robinson, Vancouver Whitecaps' Darren Mattocks, Sheffield Wednesday's Jermaine 'Teddy' Johnson, who can both play as a midfielder and striker, and possibly Waterhouse's Jermainne 'Tuffy' Anderson to choose from if he decides to make changes upfront.

Schafer will also be banking on a 12th man to give the team extra firepower.
    "I say to all of Jamaica that they should come out and support our team... the game against Panama was the key match, and since we didn't win it the one against Costa Rica is now our other key match," the former Cameroon coach said.

President of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) Captain Horace Burrell, too, urged Jamaicans to support the team in their time of desperation.
    "We need you the people of Jamaica to fill the stadium on Tuesday nig
    ht and show that you love your team and you want to see them succeed. Their success is Jamaica's success; so by coming to the stadium this would be your way of showing that you want the best for Jamaica," noted the JFF boss.

In other CONCACAF play-offs today, the US welcome a desperate Mexico, who axed coach Jose Manuel de la Torre on Saturday after his team lost 1-2 to Honduras at the Azteca on Friday night, and Honduras welcome Panama in another intriguing contest.

Costa Rica lead the hexagonal with 14 points, the USA follow with 13, Honduras 10, Mexico have eight, Panama seven, and Jamaica a paltry three.
    At the end of these play-offs, the top-three teams will book automatic berths to Brazil, while the fourth-place finisher will engage the champion of Oceania for an additional CONCACAF spot.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2eXR0jo4i
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Dead R'Boyz walking...and it is a shame.

I went back and looked at clips from matches starting with our "Ratty" Daley scored goal in the last Gold Cup...

...our World Cup qualifier which had Jermaine Hue's excellent pass and Dane Richards' superb cool finish.

I recalled the early matches in the last Gold Cup and the promising and good play.

Recalled the fight in these Hex qualifiers put up in Mexico...and against our other opponents...and particularly the fresh images from our last Match against Panama...and I shake my head and wonder on the shown tremendous potential on possibility of creation of excellent TEAM that was on display.

Here we are in with the flimsiest of chances to qualify for World Cup - Brazil 2014. How could it all (creation of good TEAM) have gone wrong? These same players could have been made excellent TEAM.

...it is a shame!

Videos:
    Goals v Grenada: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=qg_iKU4yJJk

Focus on Brazilian like powerhouse goal against Grenada: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYRHo9KPUcs

vs Guatemala:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=k4bkwMfI-MQ

What happened? How did we miss the plot?
    Last edited by Karl; September 10, 2013, 09:43 AM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

WHAT HAPPENED???...........Are you serious???..........IF YOU FAIL TO PREPARE, YOU PREPARE TO FAIL!!!......Do you remember that??? Do you believe that???

Since your qualification for the '98WC what investment has the JFF made in DEVELOPMENT or PREPARATION??? - NOTHING!!! And that's exactly what you get in return (ROI).

Comment

Fail to Prepare=Prepare to Fail

The question is - Why (What happened)?
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

What do YOU mean "Why (What happened)?

1. Do you think the JFF had the best available coaching personnel in place to qualify the ReggaeBoyz for the WC???
          2. Do you think the ReggaeBoyz got the necessary practice games to prepare them for the WC qualifications???

IF YOU ANSWER NO TO BOTH QUESTIONS THEN NO FURTHER EXPLANATION IS NECESSARY........IF YOU ANSWER YES TO EITHER QUESTION THEN ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS "GOOD LUCK TO YOU".

Comment

hint ... wehn everyone was playing friendlies and warm-ups we were ... ___________ (fill in the blank!)

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by USAF View Post
              What do YOU mean "Why (What happened)?

1. Do you think the JFF had the best available coaching personnel in place to qualify the ReggaeBoyz for the WC???
              2. Do you think the ReggaeBoyz got the necessary practice games to prepare them for the WC qualifications???

IF YOU ANSWER NO TO BOTH QUESTIONS THEN NO FURTHER EXPLANATION IS NECESSARY........IF YOU ANSWER YES TO EITHER QUESTION THEN ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS "GOOD LUCK TO YOU".
              1. The Reggae Boyz still do not have the best coach. ...but Whitmore could have got us to the World Cup and could have had this collection of players perform in excellent manner there.

2. The answer here is the crux of the matter.
              The preparation was just about non-existent. That lack of preparation is what I do not understand.

We have had years of observation and for learning that an underprepared Reggae Boyz is not the way to go.

We have the stats on our 1994 through 1998 campaign to review.
              We have our subsequent failures to review.

Why has the managing of entry to the Gold Cup been so poor.
              We play around with 2nd form players i.e. less than our best available team in the qualifying tournament, the Caribbean Cup, and reap results there that was always a possibility. We ensured we were not at the Gold Cup where needed, quality preparations could be gained.

...we could on and on regarding failure by the JFF management team to have quality World Cup campaign program.

Why when we have all those records, stats and opportunities we failed to use them???? Why??? ...where is the sense to be found on explanation of that "WHY?".

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                I went back and looked at clips from matches starting with our "Ratty" Daley scored goal in the last Gold Cup...

...our World Cup qualifier which had Jermaine Hue's excellent pass and Dane Richards' superb cool finish.

I recalled the early matches in the last Gold Cup and the promising and good play.

Recalled the fight in these Hex qualifiers put up in Mexico...and against our other opponents...and particularly the fresh images from our last Match against Panama...and I shake my head and wonder on the shown tremendous potential on possibility of creation of excellent TEAM that was on display.

Here we are in with the flimsiest of chances to qualify for World Cup - Brazil 2014. How could it all (creation of good TEAM) have gone wrong? These same players could have been made excellent TEAM.

...it is a shame!

Videos:
                Goals v Grenada: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=qg_iKU4yJJk

Focus on Brazilian like powerhouse goal against Grenada: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYRHo9KPUcs

vs Guatemala:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=k4bkwMfI-MQ

What happened? How did we miss the plot?
                Karl...the key factors in the decline are TIME and CONSISTENCY in selection

Jamaicans like "Get Rich Quick Schemes" like Cashpot, Olint and.... nuff UB40 SnowBallas... all are houses built on the shifting sand
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Yuh seit!

Comment

"Whitmore could have got us to the World Cup".........Really?!?!?!
                    The same Whitmore who couldn't properly select the right players??? The same Whitmore who was tactically inept??? The same Whitmore who couldn't advance the ReggaeBoyz in the CFU Tournament??? The same Whitmore who constantly showed his inexperience???

Whitmore was led like a lamb to be slaughtered by Burrell & the JFF because they wanted to take the CHEAP & EASY way.

Comment

don't forget Omar and Bunting Government Paper scheme.. dat mek Olint look chupid...

Di whole a Jamaica di 'rebuild' pon dat sand after dem liff out Lee Ku.. I mean Eddie..

Nuff hands oily from dat mother of all troughs..probably all yuh tuh.. now yuh 'born again' as a fence sittah..

Comment

Originally posted by USAF View Post
                        "Whitmore could have got us to the World Cup".........Really?!?!?!
                        The same Whitmore who couldn't properly select the right players??? The same Whitmore who was tactically inept??? The same Whitmore who couldn't advance the ReggaeBoyz in the CFU Tournament??? The same Whitmore who constantly showed his inexperience???

Whitmore was led like a lamb to be slaughtered by Burrell & the JFF because they wanted to take the CHEAP & EASY way.
                        Nonsense!

...or put another way - a) A true assessment can only be made by comparing Whitmore's entire stewardship.

i ) He has 3 stints - Tail end of our last World Cup Qualifiers; During our 2 Caribbean Cup campaigns; our last Gold Cup campaign and extending into our 2013 Qualifiers until his resignations.

ii) JFF support he received.

b) He has shown that when he has had a modicum of support he produces TEAM. In our last Caribbean Cup campaign he was given 'basket fi carri watah'=poor collection of players with inadequate preparation timeframe.

In his last active period, his 2014 World Cup campaign, the JFF gave him a cessation of practice matches and 'grab-a-team' (no time to train together) strategy.

Aside: You are dreaming if you believe the drivel about improved performance during our last match.

To have you awaken a look at the video will bring you back to reality.

Comment

"The lack of preparation is what I do not understand." - What don't you understand??? Did you understand it for the '02 qualification??? What about the '06 qualification??? How about the '10 qualification???

It is clear to me that the people in charge of Jamaica's football has NO interest nor plans to efficiently & effectively develop & grow the sport.

Comment

you know, when many on here said that whitmore was outcoached in the gold cup semi final game against the us, i disagreed. with the benefit of hindsight, i now agree. it was just impossible to fathom how a team that played such attractive football in that tournament up until that point, suddenly switched off so completely as to be ineffective and limpwristed in that same tournament!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

You will NEVER convince me that Whitmore was qualified to lead the ReggaeBoyz. It was CLEAR that he lacked the TRAINING & EXPERIENCE to be an effective coach at that level.

Comment

Working...
                              X