• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFF will pay but Burrell not amused

JFF will pay but Burrell not amused
    published: Thursday | May 3, 2007

Burrell

Howard Walker, Staff Reporter

THE JAMAICA Football Federation (JFF) said it will finally pay the $14.9 million owed to Captain's Bakery Limited, but Captain Horace Burrell is not amused.

In January 2004, Burrell, a former JFF president, rocked the Crenston Boxhill administration with a letter stating how the $14.9 million owed to him must be repaid by March 31 that year.

At the time, Boxhill said he and his administration were surprised at the request and said it contradicted prior repayment arrangements.

However, Burrell's demands never materialised and now, three years later, the JFF has decided to make the money tenable to the Captain's Bakery Limited, two months before the Voting Congress in November.

Rudolph Speid, the JFF treasurer, told The Gleaner that "at the start of September the JFF will be paying back the money owed to Burrell over an eight-month period.

"Payments of up to US$30,000 will be paid, he was informed and accepted," said Speid.

But Burrell is livid over the manner in which the repayment was dealt with and length of time taken.

"I am very disappointed with the approach taken by the JFF regarding the payment of this loan which was given to the JFF at a time when it was most needed," Burrell said.

According to Burrell, he is bitter because at the time when he assisted with the loan, "there was no money coming from anywhere and we were faced with the dilemma of suspending our programmes or obtaining a loan to carry on the business of the federation.

Asked to assist

"At numerous executive meetings we brainstormed, thinking of sources of income and when all avenues failed, the executive asked me to assist. I was hesitant, but they insisted that it was necessary for me to assist because they did not wish for the federation to withdraw from any competition," he said.

"They did not want to seek outside loans and without wanting to mortgage the offices, the executives felt we should try and, in good faith as the president at the time, I decided to help on the unanimous request of the committee, including Crenston Boxhill, who was the then chairman of the South Central committee.

"One of the main architects was Boxhill, and when I was convinced by the committee's pleading to assist, he was the most vocal and thankful.

"I provided an unsecured loan because I knew that during the World Cup qualifiers funding would have come in and I could have been repaid.

"If someone had told me that this would have happened, I would have told them that (a loan) is not possible."

howard.walker@gleanerjm.com
    Last edited by Karl; May 3, 2007, 07:40 AM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Re: JFF will pay but Burrell not amused

Sorry, sir!
    I actually thought I was editing my post... (mine went up at 5.09am and yours at 5.10am)
    I deleted mine.

-----------

On another note, considering the financial woes of the JFF, if promises on repayment method were not made previous to the loan being granted...then, 'hush' Captain!

...now if promises were made to settle with the Captain long ago, then those promises should have been fulfilled.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Yes eh the same thing would happen to us if camps go

Comment

And the question does arise, why make payments now?

The other thing to note is, how well ws the JFF doing while Burrell was in power? With all the receipts (alleged receipts since no one was privy to the info) from the Hex and the numerous other matches, where did that all go? Esp. when compared to this bumbling administration that has allegedly made a profit even while doing nothing!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nice one mosiah reggaefan care to respond . where are the recipts from the hex and all inernational matches and why boxhill making a profit now. And the other day i was saying captian bakery used to pump money into the jff and yuh doubt meh ..

come and see the light my son

Comment

I don't know if he used to pump money into anything, because I don't even know if we made money. But that was the problem. The Captain would rather us go jump in the sea rather than let anyone know the JFF's finances.

The delegates, even while rejecting Speid's latest report, must be thankful that at least they have a report to reject!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              I don't know if he used to pump money into anything, because I don't even know if we made money. But that was the problem. The Captain would rather us go jump in the sea rather than let anyone know the JFF's finances.

The delegates, even while rejecting Speid's latest report, must be thankful that at least they have a report to reject!
              What do you preffer? Late financial reports, no World cup qualification, no progres in our football...Or NO financial reports, world cup qualification, and overall progress in our football. I guess its a case of chooseing the lesser fo the two evils? No? Other countries around CONCACAF and the region are silently hoping that Boxhill remain in power at the end of Elections in November. One less team for them to worry about come WCQ time. I see Triniman is a big Boxhill supporter these days.
              President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Is is too much to ask for WC qualification, progress in our football and financial reports?

I want them all!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Is is too much to ask for WC qualification, progress in our football and financial reports?

I want them all!
                  Lets see, under Burrell, we got two of the three you listed above.

Under Crenston we got none of them.

I believe providing financial reports are the domain of accountants or back-office staff...thats something that can be addressed easily. Lets not confuse the job of running Jamaica's football with the job of providing finacial statements....while they are connected, one is primary, the other is secondary.
                  President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Well, I'm the one forking out $2,500/match. I would like to see it go to something useful instead of hearing that the JFF has been shutdown.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Reggae-Fan View Post
                      Lets see, under Burrell, we got two of the three you listed above.

Under Crenston we got none of them.

I believe providing financial reports are the domain of accountants or back-office staff....
                      RF MANAGMENT HAS INFLUENCE ON THE Financial so who ever is in charge run that show if burrell you know what ah gwan . Burrell has to be putting money from captian bakery into the JFF why else would eh ask for it back after he got booted from office. Would he have wanted that money back had he won elections?

Comment

So the insisent bawling from Boxhill about being sabotage was just Captain Burrell asking for his money.

Comment

LOL maybe jamaica2099 yuh went to the game yesterday post a match report

Comment

Well, I'm the one forking out $2,500/match. I would like to see it go to something useful instead of hearing that the JFF has been shutdown.
                            you skipped by the points I raised. The primary job of the JFF president is not to present financial statements...his job is to manage the football.

Sure, you pay to watch the various teams play with your hard earned dollars...but Im not sure if that entitles you to a personal report of how the JFF spends that money.

If you are going to make a claim that Moneys have not be accounted for under the previous preident, well make the point...

Again, the busines of running football is number one. Turning a profit while doing so should be number two.

As a football FAN (I assume you are too)...I put much more value on being able to sit in the office 24 times for the year to watch Jamaica play and beat teams like Bulgaria and Cameroun...over hearing that the JFF has made public its account and turning a J$ 100K profit.

Comment

Hmmm rf nice one but i know you wanted all them youth team to lorse so boxhill could go.... from the cac right back to the under 17

Comment

Working...
                              X