RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tappa on staff? I GIVE UP DEM MAN DEH MAD !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tappa on staff? I GIVE UP DEM MAN DEH MAD !

Tappa on staff?
    Former Reggae Boy could join local coaching cast
    IAN BURNETT, Sports Editor
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007

WHITMORE. Jamaica's star at 1998 World Cup

FORMER Jamaican international standout, Theodore "Tappa" Whitmore, could soon join the backroom staff of the Reggae Boyz, if he accepts an invitation from technical director, Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic, the Observer has been reliably informed.

Whitmore, who returned to the island last year January after he severed ties on mutual grounds with English League side Tranmere Rovers, has impressed Bora since he assumed the role of player/coach of Seba United in the Wray & Nephew National Premier League last December, when the club parted company with the much-travelled Geoffrey Maxwell.

According to an Observer source, the former Reggae Boy, who possesses a wealth of experience, was recently recommended by Bora to the hierarchy of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) to join his technical staff.

Bora since he assumed the role of player/coach of Seba United in the Wray & Nephew National Premier League last December, when the club parted company with the much-travelled Geoffrey Maxwell.

According to an Observer source, the former Reggae Boy, who possesses a wealth of experience, was recently recommended by Bora to the hierarchy of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) to join his technical staff.

However, the source could not confirm if the 34-year-old Whitmore, more popularly known as 'Tappa', had accepted the invitation, or if he had reached an agreement with the JFF.

"Once he accepts the invitation and can reach an agreement with the JFF, he has the job," the source said.
    Repeated efforts yesterday to contact JFF president Crenston Boxhill or Whitmore failed.

Whitmore's colourful 10-year international playing career came to an end following Jamaica's exit from the 2006 World Cup Finals at the semi-final stage of the CONCACAF qualifying round after the team's 1-1 draw with the USA in Ohio, on November 17, 2005. He was the captain of the team at the time.

Immediately following Jamaica's elimination from that World Cup campaign, the Boxhill-led JFF dismissed Carl Brown as technical director and announced a strategic shift in direction with emphasis on youth.

In line with the strategy, the squads which followed had a hard core of Under-20 and Under-23 players blended with some senior players, but Whitmore was not named among them.

The silky-smooth midfielder, who is blessed with exceptional close skills and comfort on the ball, was an integral part of Jamaica's historic World Cup qualifying team at the 1998 World Cup Finals in France.

He opened the scoring for Jamaica in the qualifiers with a goal against Suriname in the preliminary stages, and closed out the World Cup Finals in glory, hitting a brace against Japan in leading the Reggae Boyz to a 2-1 triumph on that unforgettable Friday evening in Lyon.

Along with Tranmere Rovers, Whitmore also played in the English Leagues with Hull City.

Part of Bora's contract is to work with the local support staff at least for the first two years of his four-year contract. However, if after the two-year period he is not satisfied with that support, he has the option to bring in his own team.

The 62-year-old Serb has been working with the assistance of Wendell Downswell since guiding a group of mainly Under-23 players to victory in the Lunar New Year Cup in Hong Kong in February.

The 23-man squad, including the overseas-based players, is expected to begin training on Saturday and will be based at the Golf View Hotel in Mandeville from Friday. They will train between Brancourt in Clarendon and STETHS.

Khari Stephenson, who was invited as the 24th player, has been excused from the squad, having only recently returned to full training after recovering from a broken arm.

The Boyz, listed 69th on the latest Coca-Cola FIFA World Ranking, are set to face 43rd ranked Chile at the National Stadium at 7:00 pm next Tuesday.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

What are Tappa's qualifications?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I have said it over and over...if I had the power Tappa would be in the squad and ALSO be one of the teachers.

I think I last mentioned Tappa's inclusion in my post on Bora getting and putting out our best national team....i.e. a serious start to preparations for World Cup 2010 is long over due.

Aside: The squad announced for the upcoming Chile game appears to me to underline - WE ARE NOT SERIOUS about making a run at qualifying for and performing well at the World Cup 2010!

I hope Tappa accepts!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post

They will train between Brancourt in Clarendon and STETHS.
        A-hem!???????

...and,

Bora since he assumed the role of player/coach of Seba United in the Wray & Nephew National Premier League last December, when the club parted company with the much-travelled Geoffrey Maxwell.
        ...A-hem, again!??????
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

What's the "a-hem" about?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I hope the JFF makes a serious effort to fulfill Bora's wish.
            I hope the JFF makes a serious effort in negotiations with Mr. Whitmore.

Sometimes those who do not know the game...with great enthusiasm and with great ignorance take on...inject selves as 'experts' in the decision making process rather than acting as facilitors for those who are the real holders of great expertise.

Yup! - I wish the JFF acts in good faith, within the strictures of their expertise, at convincing Tappa to join Bora's staff. Tappa has attended the "university of professional football operations" and taken courses in "organisational theory and behaviour", "playing football - the practical exercises", "preparaing for games against professionals", "preparing for international matches", "ADVANCED TECHNICAL COURSES", "ADVANCED TACTICAL COURSES" and done an internship - 1994-1998 - under the supervision of professor Rene Simoes and various other support staff and worked as a professional in the field for in excess of ten (10) years.

Tappa has also been fortunate to be one of the elite group who took part in the highest learning environment - The FIFA World Cup. - At those FIFA World Cup matches he demonstrated that he had absorbed 'the teachings' and could and did put into practise high quality technical and tactical knowledge producing high quality results.

Finally a National Coach - Bora - has seen it fit to ask that he share his expertise with what will hopefully be a generation of high quality Jamaican players.

Yup! - Mr. Whitmore has much to 'teach' our new generation footballers. One thing is sure Whitmore's style of play always - ALWAYS - showed 'intelligent thought at work'!
            Last edited by Karl; May 23, 2007, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Well, not sure he's going to make it into the squad.

When asked the question the other day, what do I think about Tappa?, I was about to suggest that he could indeed be on the squad as a player. However, I was interrupted and the question was clarified - what do you think of Tappa on the coaching team? I said I thought he had a lot to offer but I don't know if that's what he wanted.

Apparently, it is what he wants, and he is expected to accept the position. Who wouldn't?!?!

What does this say about coaching certificates and qualifications? Was Carl Brown right all along, that you can get all you need from the Internet?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                What's the "a-hem" about?
                Wednesday morning - wry smile!

Comment

Wait.. Tappa is only 34 ?

Him should be coaching from the middle of the field..

Ooops, I forgot about the depth of talent currently in the squad...

Comment

Is you same one say yuh
                    waan Ja learn ball: Did you know that Brasil always keep some past player in their system? right now Branco is youth coach and you already know who is the senior coach. In 1994 Diego was palyer/asst.coach for Arg. Now tappa will be able to identify some talent that looks like himself. BTW have you ever wondered why Brasil looks the same way over decades? The prof. wanted to keep on tatti, Rudi and others as coach but the local experts fight it down. My yute nuh fight progress.

Comment

Who yuh talking tuh?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

X mi talking to. Why?

Comment

Yuh know wha, in retrospect it is a blessing if Tappa is willing to arm himself with the necessary degree and certificates to be an asset to the RBYZ, right now tappa is a trainer like C.B .

Nothing else , in that I welcome him to the RBYZ staff, i will still argue that we need qualified assistants around Bora , not hurry come ups.
                          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

So what you call
                            Klinsman? careful now with your answer.

Comment

Only you are willing to address this coaching certificate side of this issue. We all love to agree with Mexx that we need great teachers and part of the puzzle in producing great teachers is having them sit the necessary exams. All of a sudden, that's not important any more.

There is hope. The RBSC could select Tappa as the recipient of the coaching scholarship.

But what about the other coaches who have laboured throughout the years to get the necessary training? What will they say about this appt.? Truss mi, we have a set of coaches that will be watching Tappa like a hawk, and not necessarily to see him succeed.

Would be interesting to see what Tappa did with Seba when he took over. Did they start to win games?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X