Karl: Academy vs. Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karl: Academy vs. Schools

Do you think school high school or elementary coaches in Jamaica could answer these questions:

1. Explain how Torbert's Expansion-Equalization-Interactive challenges apply to the selection of practice activities and give an activity that illustrates each concept.

2. List several basic characteristics of both U6 and U12s and then discuss what implications these characteristics have upon how you would conduct a training session for each group.

3. Discuss Mosston's Slanty line concept and its implications for youth soccer.

4. Expound upon Csikszentmihalyi's Flow Concept.

I will tell you where these came from and why I ask when I hear from you. (and lay off google until I do! )

Last edited by Paul Marin; February 2, 2015, 01:23 AM.
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

...and why not?

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
    Do you think school high school or elementary coaches in Jamaica could answer these questions:

1. Explain how Torbert's Expansion-Equalization-Interactive challenges apply to the selection of practice activities and give an activity that illustrates each concept.

2. List several basic characteristics of both U6 and U12s and then discuss what implications these characteristics have upon how you would conduct a training session for each group.

I will tell you where these came from and why I ask when I hear from you. (and lay off google until I do! )

Serious question: Paul have you ever thought on or taken a professional or certificate teaching course?

Yuh dun kno dat haul mi didda she fram ow lang dat hah professional approach to 'running our schools' and inherent is (therefore) the teaching football!!!!

Suh YES!!!!
    YES!!!

You have to want to give your students the best help possible to fulfill their potential. No room for 'jokahs'!!!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

...by the way, Paul

Yuh eva notice ow offfen mi seh dat di besses waay fi larn happens wen hit his hen-jaw-hebble? Di larnin appen an hit 'jus a appen'? ...in one sense the persons learning does not immediately realize learning is taking place?

hit its yuh aftah-wud? ...usually when the knowledge is required in a practical situation. ...could be 'exam' as in formal exam and outside of the classroom (e.g. in a discussion on relevant topic or area/subject, etc. or in the act of 'doing'!!!

-------

second edit and second btw - Why did you title your original post - Academy v Schools? It really should not be a one or the other in terms of quality of tutors and instructions given. ...I do not think there is a conflict or a one or the other. Certainly for JA we need both as top quality institutions.
      Last edited by Karl; February 2, 2015, 01:12 PM.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

"this Augurs well well for our football" LOLL!!!!
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          Yuh eva notice ow offfen mi seh dat di besses waay fi larn happens wen hit his hen-jaw-hebble? Di larnin appen an hit 'jus a appen'? ...in one sense the persons learning does not immediately realize learning is taking place?

hit its yuh aftah-wud? ...usually when the knowledge is required in a practical situation. ...could be 'exam' as in formal exam and outside of the classroom (e.g. in a discussion on relevant topic or area/subject, etc. or in the act of 'doing'!!!

-------

second edit and second btw - Why did you title your original post - Academy v Schools? It really should not be a one or the other in terms of quality of tutors and instructions given. ...I do not think there is a conflict or a one or the other. Certainly for JA we need both as top quality institutions.
          The point was really that Academies are more likely to do the required coaching education than schools, where even though the educators may be professional educators, they are not football-specific-educators, especially for the very young players below high school.

The questions came from US Soccer's National Youth License final exam. I just took the course. It was GRUELING. I went from 8AM to 7:30/8PM Th, Fr, and Sat; plus 4 hours on Wed and 8AM - 4PM on Sunday. Every night, on top of the tiredness, we had at least 2 hours homework. We studied every form of the game as it applies to kids U6 - U12. It was attended by A License coaches, former professionals, including 2 former Canadian national team players, club administrators, DOCs, Academy Directors and of course, ordinary coaches like me. While I was there, I asked myself "how would it be possible to get a high school coach in Jamaica through this?" and "I wonder if they have something like this in Jamaica?". If anyone knows the answer to these questions, please let me know and I will go attend to see how different they are.

Anyway - my point is that I don't think schools are the right environment for soccer development after having gone through this course and formally educated myself. It is just not practical. Sorry.
          "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

A couple more interesting questions:

Do you think Winnie could answer them correctly?

Do coaches at any level need to know the answers to be effective?

TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Oh Gawd!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if some of this is simply overkill and nonsensical!

I attended the national coaches convention last year and the things they found the time to create into a lecture...unreal!

Reminded me of college when some professor would receive a grant to do a year's study of "The American Bedroom"!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

thanks for that ...... no doubt karl will disagree with you but quite often that is a good thing and is to be worn as a badge of pride!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Is it possible to get football specific coaches into the school boy system ? ala the JFF working in tandem with a sports college to get coaches up to the X standard and mandate or work with Issa - the collective (stakeholders) to implement such , like we have done with T&F.

Juss asking.
                    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      I wouldn't be surprised if some of this is simply overkill and nonsensical!

I attended the national coaches convention last year and the things they found the time to create into a lecture...unreal!

Reminded me of college when some professor would receive a grant to do a year's study of "The American Bedroom"!
                      Ah suh di Yanks dweet... nuff fluff

It's a situation created by access to too much money

Jamaica has the OPPOSITE situation
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

No waste yuh time, just allow results to take its course.

The first flaw; at the youth level in Ja is technique. High schools cannot teach or improve on a player's technique (not enough time). Poor technique will kill you at the INT'L level. Mi done talk.

Comment

football is an extra curricular activity ..... who is going pay for the training and to pay these football specific coaches to be with the school full time? Min of Ed? JFF? ISSA?! that is not ISSA's mandate. they see over the administration of the comeptitions, they do not provide coaches etc.

it is possible but impractical, improbable and highly unlikely. and if so, then they should also have baskeball specific coaches with certification, hockey specfic coaches with certification, tennis specific coaches with certification and so on and so on. all of them full time (not teachgn history and goegraphy as well) coaching year round not just during the season of the specific sport...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

damnit man! i agree with you. what the hell is wrong with you?!!

Comment

The point was really that Academies are more likely to do the required coaching education than schools, where even though the educators may be professional educators, they are not football-specific-educators, especially for the very young players below high school.

The questions came from US Soccer's National Youth License final exam. I just took the course. It was GRUELING. I went from 8AM to 7:30/8PM Th, Fr, and Sat; plus 4 hours on Wed and 8AM - 4PM on Sunday. Every night, on top of the tiredness, we had at least 2 hours homework. We studied every form of the game as it applies to kids U6 - U12. It was attended by A License coaches, former professionals, including 2 former Canadian national team players, club administrators, DOCs, Academy Directors and of course, ordinary coaches like me. While I was there, I asked myself "how would it be possible to get a high school coach in Jamaica through this?" and "I wonder if they have something like this in Jamaica?". If anyone knows the answer to these questions, please let me know and I will go attend to see how different they are.

Anyway - my point is that I don't think schools are the right environment for soccer development after having gone through this course and formally educated myself. It is just not practical. Sorry.
                              Happy you took the course.
                              Make me happier by telling what next?

Context: Jamaica

Now are you really saying we could not find thousands of Jamaicans who could successfully take such a course?

...and why would school-teachers find those courses too difficult?

...and why could such soccer courses be not made available to teachers of physical education and also to college students?

While courses for both current teachers of football and college students be introduced...it may just be, as it is on most changes on enhancing subject knowledge/introducing 'cutting edge knowledge', easier to train the teachers while in teachers' colleges and 'unleash' them in 'classrooms'?

...say, 6 colleges x 30 students = 180 students being released into the society each year? ....followed/supplemented with continuing education courses - local and outside of the island/international & theoretical and practical i.e. sabbaticals at professional clubs?

It is not as difficult as you think, Paul. It just needs leaders with vision who can motivate *parties with vested interests to buy in!

*JFF and its affiliates.
                              Is it widely recognized that the colleges, high schools, prep schools are also among the JFF affiliates? ...that the entire society has a vested interest in development of a vibrant football industry?

Comment

Working...
                              X