Billy Grifiths at Cornwall vs William Knibb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Grifiths at Cornwall vs William Knibb

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.5700.6" name=GENERATOR><STYLE></STYLE><DIV></DIV><DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- <DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black">From: Calvin R. Gray </DIV><DIV>Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 10:58 AM</DIV><DIV>Subject: Cornwall College N-Year Soccer Record ?</DIV></DIV><DIV>
    </DIV><DIV><P align=center><SPAN><SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><DIV><P align=center><SPAN><SPAN>[img]http://groups.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetPubPhoto&amp;PhotoID= nIgBnH9kKHqL*15bzl5ykxI6JVQr4oKeTdnt9cHZMNVfkyYeHU PyftgGXH95HXADcWCFjpq!jlTE[/img]</SPAN></SPAN>You <P align=center>Cornwall College Principal, Mr. Denham McIntyre JP, with Cornwallians Billy Griffiths and Gerry Chambers [L to R], on Saturday, 23 September 2006.<P align=center>Cornwall College N-Year Record ?<P align=center>At the end of the first round of the 2006 daCosta Cup Zone A Preliminary matches, Cornwall College is at the BOTTOM of the group; 1 WIN, 1 DRAW and 2 LOSSES.<P align=center>Billy Griffiths and Donald Allen have been able to watch the squad, albeit in limited training,at Cornwall College and have also been present at their last two matches, whilst Steve Bucknor who is scheduled to leave the Island this week end for ICC Cricket duties in Pakistan, has been able to watch all of Cornwall's matches to date.<P align=center>I can only describe our most recent lossat William Knibb on Wednesday, in all respects, as pitiful.<P align=center>With a 7,7,6,4,4 points-standing at this stage, even if Cornwall was to win our remaining 4 matches, should William Knibb and Herbert Morrison, only lose to Cornwall, then all 3 Teams would end up on 16 points.<P align=center><U>What remains mind-boggling to me, is how is it, that players with over 2-years experience, for example,Edward Campbell, Richard Edmondson(last season's leading scorer in Zone A), Cedric Daley, Nakia Atkinson, Ravel Grey, Nemar Tummings (still a national representative) and Captain Yashiema Love, could have all retrogressed, in such a manner?</U><P align=center>What is this saying for our Under 14 and 16 squads?</DIV></DIV>

RE: Billy Grifiths at Cornwall vs William Knibb

Is this 'saying anything' about the coaching?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Tdowl, I think the death of that player cant remember his name is having an effect on the the team.

Comment

I would not blame Omroy's death on the team. They lost a few other senior players as well but they have enough experience to be doing much better than they are.

I know the school has taken a hard line with a few players and have sat them down until their grades and attitudes improve and I am not talking about the ISSA mandated 45% either.

At least one starter from last year was not taken back as he was involved in some attempt totake money by menace from another studnet last year. After it was reported and investigated the boy was told in no uncertain terms he would not be accepted back in school and can start finding another school to attend.

I am in full support of the school's new headmasters and the tough stance he is takingand I know the entire Old Boys fraternity is as well...while winning football and sports titles is all well and good, a school is there to develop the all round individual.

So if Cornwall does not make it past the first round for the next few seasons but we start getting improved passes in CXCs and CAPE we are happy.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Sickko (9/29/2006)

So if Cornwall does not make it past the first round for the next few seasons but we start getting improved passes in CXCs and CAPE we are happy.
          Is it not possible to be successful at both academics and sports? Remember, the education of the youths is not about just passing some subjects at CXC or CAPE.

I guess gone are the days when you could expect Cornwall students to excell both at the books and at sports.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Sickko (9/29/2006)I am in full support of the school's new headmasters and the tough stance he is takingand I know the entire Old Boys fraternity is as well...while winning football and sports titles is all well and good, a school is there to develop the all round individual.

And yet you laugh when I've been saying so for years! Renders your new philosophy as sour grapes in my book!

We all set various standards for our schools. Some standardsstill allow us to win the daCosta Cup, some allow us to be competitive, some rule us out completely.

But we have to ask ourselves - what's really important?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nakia apparently suffered a serious injury in preseason, so he is without blame.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Why should those days of boys excelling at both book and ball be gone? Just a few weeks ago I had an article about Francois Anderson who had eight passes in CXC, four distinctions and four credits and was also a member of the national under 17 team and also played for Village in the NPL while at CC.

We just need leaders and role models to steer the boys in the right direction
                Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

Nothing new about my philosophy Mosiah, if you had ben following my columns for years I have always been preaching about balance in the lives of students and hitting out against schools that take students, boys and girls, to win titles and then let them go back on the scrap heap of society, no better off academically then when they came there.

I have spoken to 'big named' coaches who say point blank their job is to get the athletes to win and it is the teachers job in school to get them to learn the three Rs. Ironically all these coaches have post grad degrees and their children do very well in school as well.

The fact that Cornwall has been able to win football titles has never come at the expense of academics by the way and I can copunt on one hand the number of boys who have played for Cornwall since 1980 or so that did not come in through Common Entrance or GSAT.

A few like Milton Griffiths came in through the Grade Nine or whatever it is called now and a few were transferes from other schools or came to Sixth Form.

You would be interested to know that Dean Weatherly got the job to coach the Cornwall team only after Steve Bucknor left in a huff when the school would not allow a few players to repeat fifth form twice.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

He missed the first game, the loss to Maldon, played against St James High and was substituted against Herbert Morrison as the injury flared up
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

<DIV>
                      Sickko (9/29/2006)

The fact that Cornwall has been able to win football titles has never come at the expense of academics by the way and I can copunt on one hand the number of boys who have played for Cornwall since 1980 or so that did not come in through Common Entrance or GSAT.

You would be interested to know that Dean Weatherly got the job to coach the Cornwall team only after Steve Bucknor left in a huff when the school would not allow a few players to repeat fifth form twice.
                      </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>But you and others should never discredit the effort and talent of other schools, like Munro, who have not won in several years. When you might allow students to go to 6th form with 4 CXCs, others might not. Ever thought about what Campion might be dealing with? How does a mother of a student with 9 grade 1s make room for another player with 4 grade 1s and 3 grades 2s just because he is a fooballer? We all have set our rungs differently.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>One of Munro's midfielders has 8 grade 1s, for instance. Yes, some are repeaters. There are a whole range of reasons (escuses you may call them) why some schools will always be at an advantage. But what we don't need are the silly jokes. It just could be a Munro doctor who has to attend to one of your daCosta Cup champions.</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Speaking of doctors you might have been delivered and your mother's pre and post natal cares were administered by a Cornwall doctor. You might know that Cornwall was the cradle of medicine for years as we had the first physics lab of any school in the Caribbean, not just Jamaica.

I learned so many things about Cornwall at our 110th anniversary celebrations recently, that six years of attending there never tauight me.

We had two Rhodes Scholars addresing one function for example one of which is a world famous nuclear physicist who played DCup for four years and cricket and ran trcak as well and he had time to win the jamaica Scholarship and the Rhodes simultaneously.

We learned about the late Dr garth Taylor renown ophtalmologist who also played every sport and still had time to do well in the class room.

I was taken aback when Branford Gayle said he was lowering the admission for football players and track athletes for the Munro Sixth Form so they can start winning again, not sure if this is the direction where we want to be moving.
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

<DIV>
                          Sickko (9/29/2006)Speaking of doctors you might have been delivered and your mother's pre and post natal cares were administered by a Cornwall doctor. You might know that Cornwall was the cradle of medicine for years as we had the first physics lab of any school in the Caribbean, not just Jamaica.

I was taken aback when Branford Gayle said he was lowering the admission for football players and track athletes for the Munro Sixth Form so they can start winning again, not sure if this is the direction where we want to be moving.
                          </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>You don't need to tell me about CC's academic excellence. </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>When Gayle said we would be "lowering the admission", what does that mean? I'm sure, no matter how we might lower our admission requirements, it will never get to the level of some schools. And while we are lowering, I would hope that others will begin to raise their requirements, academically and otherwise.</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well we agree there boss, especially about teams raising their levels to an acceptable level. I recalled 2002 on the eve of the IAAF WJC our track and field team was in the Bahamas on their way to winning 80 medals as usual.

The live interviews we were subjected to was some thing else entirely, it was horrific and embarrassing to say the least but interestingly all of those who gave those one word responses or just nodded their heads on radio interviews came from certain schools.

I recall the JAAA urgently setting up tutoring sessions so we did not have a repeat at the WJC
                            Che Guevara.

Comment

<DIV>
                              Sickko (9/29/2006)nodded their heads on radio interviews
                              </DIV><DIV>
                              That's right up there with George Bush waving to Stevie Wonder! </DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X