No announcement yet.

Hampton University business school bans locs and cornrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 year old are 20 it shouldn't matter. What next? You only have to speak proper english to get in?

I wonder if Sir Richard Branson would have made it to this school or if they allow hippies too? This is very small thinking.

What if they meet the best business recruit ever and his wearing dreadlocks? That would be their loss.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What I mean is that they are grown and educated people who should be allowed to make their own personal decisions and accept the consequences whatever they are. The University should not be trying to do that for them.

Why not share with them whatever you information you think they should know about perceptions and biases in the corporate world relating to hair, dress, attitude, etc, that is the kind of area where an HBCU business school can differentiate themselves.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

34 percent of graduate students at HU were white compared to 2 percent of undergraduates,
        they can get away with it, maybe it is a way to attract more whites to a historically black and Native American university

Comment

Simple what Hampton is doing is upholding the bias in the corporate world. The reason that I am upset about that is because it has nothing with the student ability to make it or discipline. Hapton should be more concerned about diversity and diversity is not just about black and white. The school and some of its professor could learn a little from a Ras or two about marketing in the real streets.

I have met my share of bias even without the dreadlock mi brethren but to me it seems as if they are only catering to certain sector of the black population when they should be molding our best business minds. You can't fight wall street sterotype if you exclude people.

I remember going to a business class at com college and after going outside another Jamaican who became my friend came away from the class thinking the same thing that the teacher was bias. Anyhow after we start hitting up the A+, the teacher became very friendly to us. We actually told him that we thought he didn't really cared for us in his class in the begining and he said normally when he sees some kids take corner seat at the back of the class like we did, they never perform and most likely drop the class after a few classes.

Well me and brethren stood at the back and the class mash it up. That kind of Stereo type by Hampton is telling the dreadlock student that they can't make it on Wall Street. While they can tell the likely student to make it, they can't tell who will and they are playing to Wall street stereotype.
          Last edited by Assasin; August 25, 2012, 09:29 AM.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You right them maintain the stereotype. It is all driven by money. They are fighting with Howard (the top HBCU school of business) to get the limited amount of corporate dollars that are allocated to target a "diverse." However, the diversity only refer to complexion. Them nah look for diverse haristyle, attire or slang.

Then them fighting to increase them rankings in newsweek by increasing their placements with all the top corporations, which will then drive their income.

Just like many in the world, them "sell out" or "adapt" for the profit.

Comment

You realize is you one even respond to that one.

Comment

That doesn't have anything to do with it. That is the trend at most HBCU's simply because of the applicant pool. We have a shortage of people applying and them people deh realize say tuition lower and an opportunity is an opportunity.

Comment

and? a mere response is not furthering the senseless debate. right?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Dem have a rule against Mohawks and mullets too?

I dont think that the Univ should have such a rule, but I would think the students should be clever enuff to know what is accepted in the Corp world or not.

Comment

Not if dem did ban mohawk and mullet fuss.

Comment

Ahhh yes...never hear bout the TOEFL?

Comment

HBS and Harvard Univ are not the same thing. HBS is cross the Charles River in Boston. Harvard U campus is in Cambridge.

HBS have nuff autonomy...

Comment

Exactly!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                            X