'My phone is tapped!'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'My phone is tapped!'

SENIOR Superintendent of Police James Forbes charged yesterday that his phones were tapped and cops were listening in on his conversations.
    "I am not going to give them anything to use so I won't speak with you now," Forbes told the Jamaica Observer in response to a request for an interview.

(L-R) BICKNELL... was said to be taking daughter, friend to airport. VAZ ... I did not get involved to get bribery charge dropped. FORBES ... I’m not giving them anything to use.
    1/1
    Forbes, the highly regarded head of the Police Community and Safety Branch, has found himself in the middle of an alleged bribery scandal also involving former Information Minister Daryl Vaz and businessman Bruce Bicknell of Tankweld.

Forbes reportedly became involved when former Police Commissioner Lucius Thomas suggested mediation to Sergeant Jubert Llewellyn, who was said to be conflicted after Vaz approached him about the bribery allegation against Bicknell, his close friend.

Asked for his comment, Forbes, sounding very calm on the phone, said the account of his involvement was not correct but that he would not speak on the matter as his phones were tapped.

"I would not want to discuss it for more reasons than one. My phone is wired and they are listening in on my conversation. I'm not giving them anything to use. The most I am willing to say is that my lawyer will speak to this at the appropriate time," he said.

The Jamaican airwaves were saturated last week with news broken by the Observer that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) had cited Bicknell, Vaz and Forbes after bribery allegations against Bicknell by traffic cops, which ballooned into a scandal now before the courts.
    Forbes was charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice while Vaz was charged under corruption laws.
    Vaz, who also spoke with the Observer last weekend, provided an explanation for his involvement and why a minor traffic incident escalated into the arrest of Bicknell on April 9 this year.

He suggested that as Bicknell was a very wealthy man, a $5,000 traffic ticket would be "no sweat off his back to pay" but that he got angry when the traffic cops wanted to take him to the police station without any concern for the safety of his teenaged daughter and her school friend who were in his car when it was stopped on the way to the Norman Manley International Airport.

"Bicknell was taking his daughter and her school friend to catch a flight to go back to school when he was stopped for speeding on the Sir Florizel Glasspole Boulevard. He was subsequently arrested for allegedly offering to bribe the police officer and granted bail. I heard about it two days later.
    "Bicknell told me that he was co-operating with the police until they suggested that he put the two girls in a taxi to continue the journey to the airport. He told them he was not comfortable with sending the girls in a taxi, but that he had a friend who was on his way back from the airport. Could they wait until he had arrived where they were, to pick up the girls and take them to the airport?

"The cops refused and insisted that they were taking him to the station and he should send the girls in a taxi to the airport. He then got very livid and the matter got somewhat out of hand. They then handcuffed him and took him to the Elletson Road Police Station.

"I did not get involved with any intention to get a traffic ticket squashed or to get the bribery charge dropped. My sole purpose was to explain to the officer that Bicknell's outburst of anger was most likely due to a medical condition, which predisposed him to such anger when he was stressed in the extreme. I also told them I believed him when he said he offered no bribe because he is not that kind of a person," Vaz related.
    Contacted for comment, Bicknell's attorney Peter Champagnie said: "It would be irresponsible, reckless and out of order for me to do so. I can't discuss my client's medical condition or lack thereof in a matter like this."
    He said he had no doubt that Vaz had no intention of committing any breach but he could not speak for Bicknell.
    "What I can say is that my client is innocent and he has an excellent defence."

Champagnie also expressed concern that the statement of a witness in the case had been quoted in the media.
    "It's the first time I have seen this in a matter which is before the court and we are very concerned. We have written to the DPP to express this.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz24kLQCpE0

is wheh duh dem Babylon deh.. is airport di man ah guh wid him pickney when dem stop him for going 48mph ???

And dem nevah meh him gwaan ?

ah wheh di !?

Comment

Babylon said 80 not 48

Comment

The truth is starting to emerge. I clearly understand why Mr Bicknell would not want to place his "uptown looking" daughter and her friend in a strange cab. Who knows what could have happened to them? That is a real concern for a large sector fo the Jamaican population. You better have some idea who the cabbie is. Further, who knows if it is a good cop or a bad cop that is stopping you? As for me, I think the cop knew Mr Bicknell from before. Yesterday's paper showed him dressed up in his orange and blue. As I said before, I am sure there is a lot more to the story. What we heard at the beginning just dont walk straight.
        "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

before telling the police "you can have that" lol... allegedly

Comment

80 what ?

Comment

the speed limit was/is 50 ....he was 30 above it........i donot remember the unit

Comment

ok.. lets say your units memory faulty..what was the fine for the speeding ticket ?

Comment

yes ..... i get the feeling there is more to this than meets the eye. why would the police officer want to arrest the man for speeding instead of just issuing a ticket?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

besides the point.. di man trying to catch a flight.. 48 mph ?

discretion dictates for him to send di man on him way.. unless is a food him looking :-)

Comment

big man..........HE ALLEGEDLY ATTEMPTED TO BRIBE a cop

yuh and westman dem get it?

Comment

suh if yuh nuh memba di units wheh yuh ah try karrec yuh eldahs dat have dem facts straight.. ??

Comment

show the "facks" nuh

Comment

a BIG food!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

"facks"

It is alleged that the SUV was heading towards the Norman Manley International Airport at 80 kilometres per hour in a 50kph zone on the morning of Easter Monday, April 9 this year. The Gleaner understands that Llewellyn ordered the vehicle to stop and issued Bicknell with a speeding ticket.

Allegations are that Bicknell produced an envelope containing the motor vehicle documents, along with $2,000. Llewellyn reportedly brought the contents of the envelope to Bicknell's attention, after which the businessman offered the money to him.
                              SI units have yuh a way muadib

Comment

Working...
                              X