Cruise Clash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise Clash

Late-night talks appear to falter as Carnival threatens to pull vessels over coronavirus protocols

Jamaica is at risk of losing at least three ship calls this week as a “stand-off” over protocols between the Ministry of Health and Wellness and Carnival Cruise Limited deepened last night, with the cruise line threatening to bypass the country if the Government failed to soften its stance on safeguards against the deadly novel coronavirus, or COVID-19.

Up to last night, ministry officials were locked in discussions with senior executives of the cruise line who warned of their intention if local authorities did not relent on the stringency of protocol demands.

Carnival’s hard-line position was triggered after one of its ships was initially denied landing privileges to Ocho Rios yesterday until further information was provided. Passengers from nations on Jamaica’s ban list were not allowed to disembark.

“It could be a stand-off the way it is now, but this is something that we have to hold true to,” Minister of Health and Wellness Dr Christopher Tufton told The Gleaner last night in summing up the stalemate.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...threatens-pull
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Originally posted by Jangle
    Late-night talks appear to falter as Carnival threatens to pull vessels over coronavirus protocols

Jamaica is at risk of losing at least three ship calls this week as a “stand-off” over protocols between the Ministry of Health and Wellness and Carnival Cruise Limited deepened last night, with the cruise line threatening to bypass the country if the Government failed to soften its stance on safeguards against the deadly novel coronavirus, or COVID-19.

Up to last night, ministry officials were locked in discussions with senior executives of the cruise line who warned of their intention if local authorities did not relent on the stringency of protocol demands.

Carnival’s hard-line position was triggered after one of its ships was initially denied landing privileges to Ocho Rios yesterday until further information was provided. Passengers from nations on Jamaica’s ban list were not allowed to disembark.

“It could be a stand-off the way it is now, but this is something that we have to hold true to,” Minister of Health and Wellness Dr Christopher Tufton told The Gleaner last night in summing up the stalemate.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...threatens-pull
    Decisions ..decisions. See DR had their first case due to a visitor from Italy and another from France is suspected of having the virus.

If the gov't stands firm, they gonna get flak for costing the country money. If they cave to Carnival's demands, allow all the passengers to come in and there is an outbreak ... then ... what a la la.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Stand firm I say.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

between a rock and a hard place but it is better safe than sorry.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
          Stand firm I say.
          I hope they stand firm... but if history is anythhing to go by, I am fearful that this Holness administration will acquiesce to the foriegn company and fold like a wet suit.

Comment

Working...
          X