• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did not apply for job - Simoes

published: Wednesday | August 16, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

Howard Walker, Staff Reporter

Former national technical director Rene Simoes has refuted claims that he applied for the position to coach the <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Reggae</SPAN> Boyz, saying instead he was contacted by Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) president Crenston Boxhill to fulfil that role.

However, Boxhill was quick to point out that it was a friend of Simoes who constantly called the JFF pleading for them to listen to what Simoes had to say.

Simoes was responding to an article carried in the Sunday Gleaner which stated that he applied for the job but wouldn't become available until January 2007.

The Brazilian coach also referred to a point expressed in the article which said he might not get serious thought because he was the one responsible for the sacking of Boxhill as team manager during the <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">France</SPAN> '98 qualification series.

Said Simoes: "I would like to clarify that I didn't apply to the post ... it was Mr. Boxhill (Crenston) who called me in Iran to discuss the matter.

Great joy

"I told him that it would be with great joy that I would accept the invitation, but after January 2007. I have a contract until December 2006 with the Iran <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Football</SPAN> Federation and the Olympic Committee Association," Simoes said in communication with The Gleaner.

When contacted yesterday, Boxhill told The Gleaner that, "over a two weeks period Simoes' very good friend Neville Bell called me not less than five times saying that Rene would like to speak with me and, as a matter of fact, Rene had asked him to get a feel of the atmosphere in Jamaica from the general public and the JFF".

"Because I had my short list, I ignored the discussion," he said.

"But Neville convinced me to hear what he had to say. Out of respect, I spoke to him and he said to me that Jamaica was looking for a coach and he was interested, but he was not available and w
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: I did not apply for job - Simoes

<DIV>Good! Strike the 3M pound coaches from the list immediately!</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>So, I guess after all the childish back and forth from Boxhill and Simoes, Simoes is not on the short list, or is he?</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You would think that the if the JFF are looking for a coach that they would not be making so many public statements about specific coaches and their discussions.

I guess that we can only hope for the best.

Respect

Comment

But Neville convinced me to hear what he had to say. Out of respect, I spoke to him and he said to me that Jamaica was looking for a coach and he was interested, but he was not available and was going to Brazil the following day and if we were interested I should contact him (there).

"That was the last discussion we had. I did not contact him in Brazil and have not spoken to him since. I don't know if that is what he means when he says he was contacted by the JFF," said Boxhill

doesn't that qualify as being "contacted by the jff"?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

It would appear that Simoeswas never inBoxhill's plans. According to this latestGleaner article Boxhill made it clear - " I had my short list, I ignored the discussion," he said. - that he ignored the thought of Simoes ever being his coach.

Boxhill's reported comment-

"But Neville convinced me to hear what he had to say. Out of respect, I spoke to him and he said to me that Jamaica was looking for a coach and he was interested, but he was not available and was going to Brazil the following day and if we were interested I should contact him (there).

"That was the last discussion we had. I did not contact him in Brazil and have not spoken to him since. I don't know if that is what he means when he says he was contacted by the JFF," said Boxhill. - suggested he spoke to Simoes out of respect for Bell...and, although Simoes left his contact information, Boxhill declined to followthat up.

Further Boxhill's reported "I don't know if that is what he means when he says he was contacted by the JFF" emphasises...or if you prefer, the final nail in that coffin...says loud and clear that speaking with Simoes was not a JFF's or a Boxhill's signal that Simoes was being considered foir the post. It is clear Boxhill considers Simoes 'out of the(his) picture'.
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Boxhill need fi shut up and duh the right thing. WALK AWAY FROM WE FOOTBALL.

His incompetence is causing too much damage. Time fi some damage control. Get rid of that dimwit.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

What a man can inna cass cass sah?

ahbwoy
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Why the bull**** mix up. IF boxhill wasa real manager he would sent for Rene Simoes and stop this he said, he said business.
                The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Boxhill is an embarassment to fans of Jamaican football worldwide. The sooner he vacates the office, the better our football will be!

Expect a rabbit to be pulled out of a hat, just before the next JFF election.
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Part of my problem with Simoes. . .

THe man gets too involved with the media. OK, is he interested in the job or not? If he is, what does it matter who contacted who? If he has interest in the job, why not apply for the job? I guess he wants us to come beg him to join the program again.

I want to see us move beyond this crap. I say hire someone else and leave Simoes alone!
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Ok a Rene a di problem now?

Could it be that Juicy Bell contacted Rene?

What if people within the Media called him which is what I assumed happen, don't he have the right to say his piece.

Tilla you looking on the petty part of this thing. If Rene chose to say nothing to the media like so many of his Jamaican counterpart it is also a problem.

I think it is a breath of fresh air when coaches can actually tell you what they intend to do for you to hold them accountable and not for them to hide under the radar and talk about how much they achieved when they have no mandate and win a few games.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Boxhill is an amateur, and is way over his head. He is the one who should refuse to comment, and conclude his negotiations without involving the media.
                        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Why does this Jackass Boxhill keep embrasssing Jamaica's football? Now you tell me, which coach in their right mind would want to come to Jamaica when the the JFF president keep putting his foot in his mouth. Boxhill doesnt belong in an office, he bolongs outside inspecting vehicles, thats where is talent lies. And you have his aplogosits like Mosiah continuing to by hypocrites.

Time for us to kick his ass to the curb where he belongs. And the funny thing he doesnt realise that he is a jackass.
                          President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Wow, everytime I think Boxhill has learned he show he is in way over his head. Seriously it better he resigns. This is the same pattern I saw with the Marlon King cass cass. He dont need to discuss his short list and certainly he dont need to validate if Rene is on his list or not or who contact who. Its obvious he is not a fan of Rene after all Rene fired him after Boxhill sated it was ok for players smoke weed as it was jamaica. Please tell me when boxhill leaves the program. I dont expect anything good from him as he is a blundering fool.

Comment

Well, I suppose there will be another No Confidence vote in Janaury....I'm pretty sure Boxhill will never resign as he will never get a better job for the rest of his life.....

Let's see if we have all those stupid people we call leaders still pushing for Boxhill to serve his full term...Let's see if they really give Boxhill another year to collect a check and ruin the country's football some more....

Where are the True Leaders....Why we have so many yes men....

A guess like Kartel &amp; Bounty, Boxhill a nuff a dem Daddy suh dem caan vote him out

Comment

Working...
                              X