Tilla: How to start a Secondary School Robotics Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilla: How to start a Secondary School Robotics Program

Setting up a school robotics program in Jamaica is very challenging but not especially difficult IF you're working with a few committed people. Fortunately we've already suffered through ALL the issues and have a replicable model... your team's learning curve will be short should you decide to accept this mission

1. I'man advised you of the excellent camps run by Kimroy Bailey/Digital Yard Foundation.
    A great place to start would be a 2-3 hour robotics demo at the school you're thinking about. *(It's essential that you get support from Kimroy in JA)
    From this demo your team can gauge the staff enthusiasm and identify the people on the ground who can run a program. You won't have any issues with student motivation

2. Select the age cohort and tech platform to start with. If it's 1st-3rd form.. I suggest the Lego Mindstorm tool set. For 4th-6th form... the Tetrix is great
    Of course they're other platforms but we use those for reasons below

3. It's best that students have a robot build challenge to heighten motivation & skill development.
    Unfortunately there's no JA robotics competition yet so you can check with Kimroy for a build solution OR consider a US competition. If you favor the foreign solution I recommend US FIRST TECH CHALLENGE.. The FTC competition is compatible with the tech platforms above.
    They're other suitable competitions but we have 5 years experience working with FTC... and lots of goodwill with the officials. JC's experience & contacts would be at your disposal

Consider volunteering for US FIRST in your local area.. you'll get hands on experience and build contacts with the officials. The KC competition could be what you target because that's your hood...or you could have your team join JC at NY/NJ/Connecticut Regionals
    A JA team in the Kansas City Regionals would be a sensation! (suh much black people one time inna KC!!)

This presentation was developed for a startup JA high school robotics program entering a FTC-type competition... go to deck 12 for an elaboration of how to start a club focused on that level ...it covers FTC equipment needs, basic infrastructure, club organization and financials

Would be great to see yuh dweet
    Last edited by Don1; July 31, 2014, 09:31 PM.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Thanks for the info. I will ruminate on this some more.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

ok boss. At the very least consider the robotics demo with no commitment to go further until you're sure

The road can be rocky... but VERY rewarding fi di pikney dem

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

I can understand how it help the kids. I will definately look into it.

Thanks
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Are these really robots or really just souped-up remote control toys?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

If you can program a remote-controlled toy to respond to its environment then it is a robot.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
              I can understand how it help the kids. I will definately look into it.

Thanks
              The kids will be super motivated and the entire school community will be energized... chuss mi!!!

BTW Kimroy works at Wigton Wind Farm... so if your school of choice happens to be in St Elizabeth.... arm chair ride dat

In the early research phase of trying to understand how the US FIRST robotics program worked, I checked out several high schools including Bronx HS of Science... one of the best in the country. I have never seen kids so excited about an academic exercise... ongly sports can compare. I was sold on it within 5 minutes. The same phenomenon occurred at JC.

If you go with it and persevere... the results will exceed any expectations you have.
              Last edited by Don1; August 1, 2014, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                BTW Kimroy works at Wigton Wind Farm... so if your school of choice happens to be in St Elizabeth.... arm chair ride dat
                Wigton Wind Farm is actually in Manchester. There is, however, a Munro wind farm that is run by the JPS that is in St. Elizabeth.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Wigton Wind Farm is actually in Manchester.
                  Manchester shares border with ST Elizabeth and it is possible that the place could be closer to Santa Cruz (STETHS) than Munroe is to STETHS.

Comment

I am going to get involved. I checked out the KC STEM Alliance last night and made note of a number of schools in my town who are participating. That would certainly make it easier to get involved.

I will be checking into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      Wigton Wind Farm is actually in Manchester. There is, however, a Munro wind farm that is run by the JPS that is in St. Elizabeth.
                      yuh nitpicky eeh

Comment

Das why unnu can't win schools challenge!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                          I am going to get involved. I checked out the KC STEM Alliance last night and made note of a number of schools in my town whore are participating. That would certainly make it easier to get involved.

I will be checking into it.
                          super!!

mek mi know how it guh dung

Comment

lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                              Are these really robots or really just souped-up remote control toys?
                              Yuh renk an disrespekful bout toy

Rath C*****h! Yuh tink RC toy enta Robotics World Championship??

Wi guh WC an' mash up ova 100 team from all ova di planet ...

Penni dis an mek mi know if dem yah ah toy... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGBl44_xCP0
                              Last edited by Don1; August 1, 2014, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X