Champs conveyor belt keeps Jamaican sprinting’s speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champs conveyor belt keeps Jamaican sprinting’s speed

The voice is incredulous, as if the commentator is unable to compute what his eyes are telling him. “Look at the clock!” he urges as a tiny Jamaican sprinter, Brianna Lyston, powers clear of the field to win the 200m in 23.46sec. “She absolutely demolishes the record ... she has just produced something out of this world!”

It is rare that the sporting exploits of a 12-year-old go viral. But Lyston’s performance at this year’s Champs, Jamaica’s boys’ and girls’ inter-schools championships, was so spectacular that TV stations and newspapers across the globe rushed to proclaim her as the heiress to Usain Bolt.

Usain Bolt: ‘I feel good because I know I’ve done it clean’
    Read more
    Of course that was premature. But to put Lyston’s time into context, it would have been good enough for fourth in the senior British Olympic trials last year, ahead of athletes such as Bianca Williams – who won 200m bronze at the 2014 Commonwealth Games and went to Rio as part of the British 4x100m relay team.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...P=share_btn_fb
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

'I am extremely happy' - Wilson thrilled with Gaye's develop

by
    Andre Lowe
    May 11, 2017

Demish Gaye is the hottest 'new' name on the Jamaican track and field scene after he recently joined the sub-45 seconds club, becoming the 21st Jamaican to run 44 seconds in the 400m.

Quite an achievement for a youngster, who two years ago was hardly even on the radar.
    http://jamaica-star.com/article/spor...es-development
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Very noice piece...

Some observations:

1. "Jamaicans by nature are very competitive people and, in many ways, Champs serves as the perfect encapsulation of this trait. It resonates deeply within the Jamaican culture"

2. If only we could apply the above attitudes we have for sports... to 21st century-ready science and technology applications...we would be taking the 1st steps to being a "developed economy"

3. Toot!! Toot!! help is on di way!!

4. Good to focus on the often neglected girls

5. I saw a screen shot with what was purported to be "dorms at St Jago"... which looked like multiple multi-storey apartment blocks. Ah choo dat?? Wow!

6. Edwin Allen's coach says they have more than 100 girls in their program. Recruiting begins from 10-11 y.o.... with >70% recruited! Wow! Dats some numbaz!! So why the focus on JC?? Wi nuh inna dem league deh
      Last edited by Don1; May 12, 2017, 11:19 AM.
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Good post,the key to success seems to be........................

Motivation to get out of poverty,like the buying ahmean recruitment focus..lol
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

What I liked was reading the credits for this production - Shelley-Ann Fraser-Pryce as Executive Producer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
            What I liked was reading the credits for this production - Shelley-Ann Fraser-Pryce as Executive Producer.
            Yes...dat plus the AI robot that translated the Jamaicans' words into sub-titles.... funny
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
            X