• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danny (Tin Medalist) backs VCB, suggest JAAA goes after MVP

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...s/sports1.html

Danny backs Ver

Published: Wednesday | August 26, 2009

Anthony Foster, Gleaner Writer

Campbell-Brown Veteran hurdler Danny McFarlane has defended Veronica Campbell-Brown's decision to withdrawn from Jamaica's
    4x100m relay team at last weekend's 12th IAAF World Championships in Athletics.

The Jamaican camp was rocked by its second major controversy last week, when news broke that Campbell-Brown would not be a part of the women's 4x100m team if she could not run the final leg.

However, in a recent radio interview, McFarlane, the 2004 Olympic 400m hurdles silver medallist, explained that the situation had been brewing from last year.

"That was coming from even last Olympics," he said.

"The way they went about doing it, I think Veronica was right not to compete," said McFarlane, who was also a 1600m relay silver medallist at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

"You cannot look at somebody like Veronica ... you cannot call Veronica on Saturday morning or some hours before and tell her you have to go run the curve ... no, this is Veronica Campbell, it is just not right," he added.

McFarlane, who also helped Jamaica to 4x400m silver medals at the Gothenburg (1995), Paris (2003) and Sevilla (1999) World Championships, says he personally thinks Campbell-Brown would be best suited for the curve.

Medical reasons
    "I think she is one of the best curve runners, like Usain, but she was at the camp doing the anchor leg and it should not have changed," he said.
    Donald Quarrie, the team's technical leader, said Campbell-Brown was asked to run the curve because Shelly-Ann Fraser and Kerron Stewart, the gold and silver medallists in the 100m, would have to run the straights, because of medical reasons.

McFarlane

Asked if he believed it was a blunder on the part of the coaching staff, McFarlane responded:
    "I think a lot of people in the JAAA are weak."

McFarlane, running out of lane one, ran 48.65 for sixth in last Thursday's 400m hurdles final, which was won by American Kerron Clement in a world-leading 47.91.

McFarlane also commented on the current JAAA-MVP controversy. He believes that although the local governing body took the advice of IAAF President Lamine Diak and did not ban the athletes from the competition, it still had to take action.

However, he did not believe that the six MVP athletes - Asafa Powell, Shelly-Ann Fraser, Melaine Walker, Shericka Williams, Brigitte Foster-Hylton and Kaliese Spencer - who missed the mandatory training camp should be the ones to suffer.

Training camp
    "If the JAAA don't do this, I know a lot of the athletes in the camp told me they 'cannot get me to come back here' (another camp).
    "A lot of athletes are upset but they just don't want to talk ... they are upset that people were not at the training camp and the JAAA told them if they did not come what would happen to them."

However, despite saying that, McFarlane believes the athletes who missed the camp are not the ones the JAAA should punish, but instead the 'leader' of the group. "I think if you are handing out punishment, it should be to the person making the calls," he said.

OK, Danny, so you came home with a gold medal except for the aluminium soda can or tin beef containers and SAF, BF and MW won gold & AP got a bronze. The only athletes except Bolt who won individual gold medals are those who did nt show up at the JAAA camp. So why not suggest that JAAA look at excluding the top stars from these get in shape camps?
    Last edited by Karl; August 26, 2009, 09:19 PM.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

On the TVJ sports program last night, the panelists, Juliet Cuthbert and Leighton Levy, agreed with a few things I have been saying all along.

1. Baton transfer is not rocket science. Some believe that VCB has never handed off a baton before so it was somehow impossible for her to learn this very highly skilled and technical move one and a half hours before the final.

2. Relay teams and positions should be chosen not on the basis of current or former accolades and titles. So what if you are the reigning world champion?! So what if you have umpteen medals over the last 8 years?!

They also spoke about what is being said in this article. And I agree. If the JAAA is going to be so strict about this camp to the point where they want to send home athletes before the championship, then someone who turned up for the camp (VCB) should have more say than those who didn't (SAF).

You see, Willi, I think when you are as a good as Stephen Francis, and as cunning, there is no end to what you may come up with to justify doing your own thing at the expense of TEAM JAMAICA. (When is MVP going to get their own "national" flag?) If Franno thinks that the air in Nuremberg is not as clean as the one in the Italian town where he set up camp, then who is the JAAA to come and poison off his athletes?!

Franno's recent interviews show someone who is not about Jamaica, who does not think "team". It shows someone who is arrogant and does not think before he speaks. And his success has led some of us to believe that is the only way to get gold medals, because somehow Franno displays that American attitude that has made that country great.

Give me a freaking break!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

ongle one thing..i do think franno thinks before he speaks. i think he is one of those persons, like pj patterson, to whom you must pay special attention to what they actually say before making assumptions, presumptions and the like....

i don't like everything that he has to say but i believe each thing is said because that is what he intends.

i also think that he is far smarter than his nemeses and abuses this fact too regularly.

whether he is for jamaica or himself..i think that he is for his athletes and what is good for his athletes seems to be good for jamaica. in the interview he said that in the past he went against his better judgment and paid the price and with that ex[erience behind him, he goes with his own judgment. cannot fault him there.

i am for discipline, but i think it would be wrong in this day and age to tell a cxc student that he can only bring an abacus to the exam when there are calculators available! that may be the rule but who does it serve and what is its' purpose?

franno baited the jaaa and in the process further antogonised them by suggesting that they were not capable to sitting down to reach a compromise or a solution, but again...he seems to be playing a mind game with them by yanking their strings....unnecessary and uncalled for IMHO

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

You nuh hear fe low the man mek him do him ting, or else him going to leave Jamaica and no more gold medals for you ungrateful bastards!

You have been warned!!!
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

2. Relay teams and positions should be chosen not on the basis of current or former accolades and titles. So what if you are the reigning world champion?! So what if you have umpteen medals over the last 8 years?!
          What basis should they be chosen on? VCB is a 200M runner so I would say she run the curve. Fraser is the WC @ 100M and Kerron the runner up so why have them run the curve? It's obvious by her standoffish behaviour to the other ladies after the 100M that VCB has isolated herself.

Comment

And what is clear is that this is no longer simply a JAAA vs MVP thing. Other parties have been sucked into the storm and that is really sad.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Lets just bury the whole thing, I hope the JAAA have their way, MVP is quarantine, and we go back to the good old principled days!

We have sold our souls in the name of Gold medals and will pay for this in the coming years.

Nobody one man or club is bigger than Jamaica.
              Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
              Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Well, Fraser is the fastest starter so she would be a good candidate to start, which HAPPENS to be a curve leg.

Comment

such behaviour!!! shi mussi think seh shi brown!!! wait...hol' on deh...veronica campbell brown??!!! SHI HAVE EBRY RIGHT!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                    such behaviour!!! shi mussi think seh shi brown!!! wait...hol' on deh...veronica campbell brown??!!! SHI HAVE EBRY RIGHT!!
                    Rhattid ah true!!! Mullah Mosiah please delete the rubbish I just posted above. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                      Well, Fraser is the fastest starter so she would be a good candidate to start, which HAPPENS to be a curve leg.
                      Okay. And Kerron is the fastest finisher so where dat leave VCB? Not on the anchor.

Comment

Or is Franno reacting to the licks he got and still gets?

Where was TEAM when SOME coaches get patronage and other suck salt and are actively undermined? Which other coaches have their athletes constantly being coerced away with threats of no funding if they stay with their current camp?

How is this VC thing about Franno/SAF??? SAF didnt run the anchor, the ONLY leg VC was prepared to run! Kerron ran anchor and Kerron is NOT MVP and she WAS at the JAAA camp! How all a unno conveniently figget that? Even the distinguised TV panel yuh mentioned, that included some relay scandals of their own back in the day!!!!

I repeat again, the JAAA has been emprically shown to mess up the peak of MVP athletes. They use a different peaking approach (that undeniably works well) and not everyone does this, and they often get mixed results.

MO, your arguments are generally sound and unimpeachable, but you seem personal here as all the logic gone out the window!
                        Last edited by Willi; August 26, 2009, 10:22 AM.

Comment

First leg is at least 105m long, due to the chnageover zone.

More than just straight line start mechanics needed there. Power thru the zone is critical, and that takes speed endurance. VC is better than SAF there. Saf tends to fade at the end of the 100m races.

Besides, starting non the curve is different to starting on the flat 100m. Look at how VC normally is first off the bend in 200m races. However, I will concede that SAF is good there as well, as at trials she did beat VC off the bend.

Comment

Hahahahahaaha.

Up Park camp RULES!

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                              Or is Franno reacting to the licks he got and still get?

Where was TEAM when SOME coaches get patronage and other suck salt and are actively undermined? Which other coaches have their athletes constantly being coerced away with threats of no funding if they stay with their current camp?

How is this VC thing about Franno/SAF??? SAF didnt run the anchor, the ONLY leg VC was prepared to run! Kerron ran anchor and Kerron is NOT MVP and she WAS at the JAAA camp! How all a unno conveniently figget that? Even the distinguised TV panel yuh mentioned, that included some relay scandals of their own back in the day!!!!

I repeat again, the JAAA has been emprically shown to mess up the peak of MVP athletes. They use a different peaking approach (that undeniably works well) and not everyone does this, and they often get mixed results.

MO, your arguments are generally sound and unimpeachable, but you seem personal here as all the logic gone out the window!
                              Ah true man. I remember when ASAFA bruck WR di first time him did seh sumtime him nuh even have enough food to eat and JAAA never help him wit nuttin.

Comment

Working...
                              X